• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F350 6x6 conversion?

minigunmike

Just to lead off this is kind of a dream build right now more or less something I wont get to in the next couple years more something in the next 3-5 years but its fun to flop a idea around and check feasibility vs other stupid ideas.

Pop bought a deuce a couple months ago so now I have a reference for taking measurements. This is horrible because I went from wanting a deuce to "Hey wait a second I can fit that under my truck..." I'm currently running a 2000 f350 7.3 4dr long bed srw. Literally as long as a deuce and just as wide. I purchased it under the intentions of hauling logs. Plans fell through and now its a toy/hauler. I had wanted to get a deuce and tinker with it but I know how I am and I know there would be a engine swap lurking in the corner along with bigger tires etc etc. So I figure Ill cut out the middleman and just slap a deuce axle set under the piggy and get it over with!

I have been doing measurements nothing to precise just enough to check feasibility, From what I have learned the ford frame is wider than the deuce (not surprised!) The rear hanger shouldn't be to hard to modify from the looks of it. Do have a question on that note! Is there a straight pin holding the pivot on or is it tapered?
The front end might be a bit harder considering the offset of the pumpkin on the stock axle vs the offset of the stock rockwell. Might require a axle shop to get the offset right.

Other things I'm sure I will have to deal with is reinforcing the frame because I'm sure it'll try to twist it in half as soon as I find a good gnarly trail to wander (Haspin) I'm not really to worried about gearing I imagine top speed will be right around 55 at 1700 rpms (I'll do the math later) Lets face it anybody can go fast and hit the wall, I wanna be the guy that takes the wall the subdivision behind it! Not real sure about road legal status but I'd like to keep it road legal so I'll have to figure out how much it's gonna raise the bumper.

Anyway thoughts and or experience are welcomed! I could use some tips and or pointers!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same thought when the OP mentioned the Ford frame was wider. The next consideration is the height of the big ole inline six.

Rick

minigunmike

I thought about doing the body swap but the thing that kinda stopped that idea for me was the controls. Lots of messing with wiring and all that junk so I figured it'd be easier to just swap axles. This morning I was out with the tape measure again and figured out that with some tweaking it would be relatively easy to stab the front bumper assembly into the front of my truck winch and all! As fun as it would be to have a pto winch on that tub I don't think its a great idea so think Ill settle for swapping the bumper and probably getting a 16k 12 volt at some point.

One thing I thought of that may be a con is the tone ring in the rear axle for the speedo. Granted with a set of 46" tires and a gearing for moving landmasses the speedo will be off by a good bit, the computer reacts funny when it looses communication with the rear axle. I have had it happen before the truck wont go into overdrive and when you step on the brake the needle bounces. My initial thought was to swap for a stick shift and a older computer buuuuuuut I really like my injectors running correctly. Anyone have some wisdom to share with a fumbling googlehead?

minigunmike

I'm just swapping the axles under the ford. I did a little looking c&c equipment has the rear sets for $500 so that's save me from buying a deuce just for the axles. I'd hate to have a hunk of deuce just laying around. I would put the cab on a deuce frame but I think I'd need a tractor model and it'd take more work than I really want to put into it!

minigunmike

I thought about the disk brake swap then I remembered the episode of jay leno's garage with the power wagon 6x6. If it goes fast you need disk brakes if it tops out at 55 your ok with drums. I don't foresee this being a practical truck for any towing or anything hauling. If I do my math for gearing right I want to cruise around 1700-1800 rpm ~58mph. So I think drums will be ok. The hydro boost system should have enough power to lock up the tires

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks