• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Factory Original Gauge Cluster with Tachometer?

Jozseph

There was a member, do not recall who, was installing / attempting to install a factory original tachometer to the gauge cluster or a factory original gauge cluster with tachometer.

The gauge clusters with tachometer are from civilian vehicles

Was fortunate to acquire a gauge cluster (the diesel cluster) with the 4000 rpm tachometer.

Looking to install this cluster in my 86 K30

Anyone have or know where to find the Original Wiring Diagrams for this cluster?

front.jpg

Front View

2nd back.jpg

Back View

Been post this question on several forums.

Thank You

Joseph

Jozseph

I would assume that is what it is for as the symbol ( the O with the 3 | marks ) is symbol for air brake pressure.

Researching this Cluster, I think it is from a Chevrolet C-Series Medium Duty Truck, possibility a C60

Regards

Joseph

Last edited:

richingalveston

gauge cluster

I was the poster of the cluster thread. your gauges are not the same as mine and the circuit board will be different. I also had some errors on my schematic that did not get corrected. I do plan to pull It apart again in the future but until I do I cannot correct the information. Just note there were a few errors.

Ultimately what I did was use the circuit board to power the lights only. All of the gauges became hard wired. I cut the back of the cluster so I could put the Cucv volt guage in the cluster. Red led's also.

You can use a meter or you can visually trace the circuits on the printed board to make your own schematic. that is what I had to do.

rich

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That cluster, with the mechanical air gauge and fuel gauge inside the tach would be great for a truck with on-board air!

Rick

nyoffroad

In the OP's pic's it looks like the tach has it's own plug. I'd check that out, it may be as easy as plugging in the stock harness and making a small harness for just the tach.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a late '80's 4000 rpm tach cluster from a C-60 flat bed truck. The tach has the exact same numerals as our CUCV and has the small fuel gauge in the bottom of the dial. (see photo). I also have a spare CUCV instument cluster housing and have figured out how to modify the CUCV housing to replicate the tach cut-out in the C-60 housing. The 4000 rpm tach is a perfect fit into the CUCV housing, taking the place of the large fuel gauge. I will re-route the fuel gauge wire off of the CUCV printed circuit and wire the small fuel gauge under the tach directly from the harness. The two indicator lights in the bottom of the big CUCV fuel gauge are the Seat Belt Indicator Light and Brake System Warning Light. I plan to abandon Seat Belt Indicator Light and cap off the incoming wire. I'm not sure what to do with the Brake System Warning Light, whether I still need it or not, any advice would be appreciated. I will pick up the tach feed from the brown wire at the ICE port and set the switch on the back of the tach to 12-volt. Unless I am missing something, this should do the trick. I will photo-document this whole process in my rebuild thread for all to see.

Attachments

Jozseph

I have located the following on other sites;

Original Cluster Connections.jpg
Original Cluster Connections

Pin lay out Chat.jpg
Pin Lay Out Chart

Pin lay out for Cluster Plug.jpg
Pin Lay Out for Cluster Plug

Regards

Joseph

richingalveston

lights in gauges

IMG_0598.jpgIMG_0597.jpgI made the lights in the bottom of the gauge the check engine light,4x4 and gen1 and 2 lights.

When you switch to gauges you loose the gen one and two so you have to put them somewhere. you can cut the existing filters and use them for the lights in the gauges.

The fuel gauge in the pic was replaced with a tach.

richingalveston

I kept all of the original sending units, just added new ones for the gauges.
I wired all of the idiot lights so that any of the sending units can turn the check engine light on. This helps because you do not always pay attention to the gauge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks