• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fading SN on frame.

N3Nflyer

This question probably doesn't have one right answer. Her is the problem. My stamped SN numbers on the frame of my Duce are practically non-existent. Apparently they have been sand blasted or wire brushed so much over the years with each new paint job, they are now practically undetectable. Does anyone have the large number stamps to re stamp the numbers on the frame? They are about 1 inch tall. Or do you think I could just make a small plate, stamp the numbers with a small stamp set and rivet the plate where the numbers should be. What do you thing LE would make of the plate if they ever wanted to check the VIN? :?:

ida34

Leave it alone. Do not do anything. If you ever need to verify the numbers police use an acid solution to bring out serial numbers that have been filed off guns. When stamped the metal under the stamp becomes more dense then the surrounding metal. The solution brings out the numbers clear as day. Are you sure the stamping is not just filled in with layers of paint? If you need a new vin because the vin is not legible then you can get a state issued vin. This is the proper procedure when a vin is damaged for some reason.

LibertyDeuce

Chuck is right. Leave it alone and don't mess with it. Let LE or DMV inspectors do their job. Messing around with stamps could make a bad situation worse.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or, you could leave the original alone and re stamp it below the original. I wouldn't mess with the original one, that could cause BIG issues.

N3Nflyer

Yah, paint is striped and the numbers almost gone. I think I'll lightly paint over them again and then put a number plate next to them. That way if they ever need to do the acid test they can still get to them.
Thanks.

Jones

Paint the area with the original numbers a contrasting color (383 green over black or vice versa) so it can be readily spotted then stencil the numbers above or below the stamped numbers. Stamping numbers into a frame will get you instant attention even if they're the same. And once they have you in their sights, you'll be a long time convincing them you're a good guy and don't need to be watched.

ida34

I think the stenciling idea is much better than adding a plate or stamping into the frame. Nothing will take the place of the original stamping but you will be able to help people see what is stamped with the stenciling.