• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed Emissions

TankGrl

The truck i recently purchased failed emissions for the CCV system. I'm not clear on how to correct this, but I'm thinking I'll start by replacing the CDR Valve and the oil filler cap.

Do I need to use the vented oil filler cap? I read somewhere that I can use the one that fit an 80 Chevy 5.7L diesel. is this the right one to buy?

and is there something else I should be checking to correct the emissions issue?

thank you!

cucvrus

That's the one. They are available from several vendors. Parts Geek being one amongst others. Do you think that Stant # could be added to the CUCV notes for permanent record?
Stant #10076

riggermedic

which test did they run? i have a 1009 and a 1010 and they emissions tested both differently... funny how they emissions test a truck that is not emissions equipped.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't there a sticker saying they are emissions exempt? I believe there is a thread about the same subject.

cucvrus

They were emissions exempt for the military 30 years ago. They are NOT exempt for private use. And if it is in a green state they are harder on emissions. I have read this in the past about CUCV's failing in other states. In PA the diesels are exempt from emissions state wide. I support emission testing. I don't want to breath all that garbage. I know they do have some newer rolling coal laws that are going into effect. They have strict and heavy fines being levied on offenders. About time. Have a great day.

Hasdrubal

Our emissions testing stopped last year, but before that I had to take my CUCV in every year and pay $22 to have it tested. I asked the guy, have you ever failed a GM 6.2, he said no. I would change the air filter before going in, that's it. My 6.2 isn't the tightest, has some puffing when you remove the oil-fill cap and I'm sure the compression is not up on all cylinders as it burns oil. But it always passed. What would I do if it failed, go to another test station, most likely you would get a different reading.

The CDR valve can be cleaned and tested to see if it is still operational. Blow in the tiny hole on the circular side. The hole is the atmospheric pressure "sensor". So if you blow in it and increase the pressure, it thinks there is a slight vacuum in the engine and it should close. When you blow in it hard, you should hear a soft click as it closes. Shake the oil tube cap it should rattle freely!