• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed MD CDL Class B due to improper vehicle!

REDWOLF

First off MD DMV test people do not have cdl s them selfs and have no idea but what the book tells them, and it is just a big money maker. I whant to get my passenger endorsment on my class A, so i can drive my church buss for them. To get the endorsment added to my CLASS A i have to take the general test and the airbrake test and the passenger test. Then get my class b leners permit and then bring a buss back to due the pree trip and yard skills along with driving. AND I ALREADY HAVE A MD CLASS (A) LICENS ??????? Its all about the money. I can see taking the passenger test and bringing a bus to do the pretrip and maybe yard skills and driving but why do i need a class b leners pirmit. OH yea $$$$$$$$$ for Maryland. Good luck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM DECODEME. He and I were talking about the CDL class he took where they also gave him the truck to test on. They literally went through it and told him...this is all you have to know. The price was reasonable as I remember, but I don't recall the exact price.

chevyCUCV

When I took my pre-trip I walked around the truck and mentioned checking every part I saw. I listed almost every part of the whole truck and you could tell the instructor was getting irritated but I didn't miss anything. :)

I'm sure as long as you mention the slack adjusters I think you'd be ok. I highly doubt anybody is going to crawl under and look.

I took my test with a 3rd party private tester. The guy was a ex-truck driver and knew the "practicality" of truck driving. He said the state testers have never sat behind the wheel of a truck and have only been trained on how to administer the test. Any deviation from the test as written is a automatic fail.
When doing my pretrip, i checked the steering hoses from the engine bay, then when under i checked the steering box, my instructor reminded me i already had checked the steering :hammer:, i dont think he understood the multiple parts in a steering system.
Then when i was done on the right side, he told me to only point out different things on the left side, maybe he got tired of hearing about every part under the truck?

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as an aside, are you planning on using the vehicle commercially or just as a "historic/pleasure vehicle?" you can get a class B non-CDL and skip many of the CDL requirements.

And Maryland doesn't have transmission restrictions or air brake endorsements. There is an air brake restriction if you take the test in a vehicle without air brakes.

Best of luck with the MVA testers. Sometimes a different tester makes all the difference.

Bonte

You probably don't know it but you also failed the walk-around bc you didn't explain how the slack adjusters work, even though you don't have them.
Actually, I completely explained the slack adjusters when I discussed the brake chambers. I mentioned everything that was in the DL-151 handbook regardless if it was on my truck or not.

F18hornetM

I think the rental truck is a good idea, just to get it over with. Md has got to be the most difficult state to deal with in regards to licensing and tagging of vehicles.

Redwolf...I dont understand the need for a B license when you have an "A"...I have an A with passenger endoresement. I dont know why after taken the test,they cant add the passenger endorsement to your existing "A". Always something with them, never anything simple or easy.

As far as explaing slack adjusters, lots of "old" trucks had wedge brakes. But these inspectors are not drivers or mechanics so dont expect them to know anything about your truck.

Bonte

Update!

Here's an update for all of you that are following this thread.

First off, thank's so much for responding and offering me advice. On Monday morning, I phoned a friend at the SHA and explained the situation, I was given a contact over at the MVA for someone who could help me. I gave this person a call and explained the problem, she listened to me as I explained what transpired which resulted in the disqualification of my vehicle due to the misunderstanding of how the air brake system works in my truck by the examiner.

I faxed her over a number of excerpts from the operation manual pointing out that the Service Parking Brake Release Valve is not the spring brake parking brake valve and highlighting on how the truck will stop in the event of a low air condition. She she read each page in detail and even PRINTED out the entire M939 Operators Manual! She asked a number of questions so that she could understand the operation of the Spring Parking Brake Release valve and ask that I email her a photo of the switch showing the color and the writing.

Today, she phoned and thanked me for sending the photo and asked that I also send her a photo of the data plate (to verify the GVW) and asked a few more questions before informing me that an examiner will give me a call back. Within 10 minutes, get a call from another very friendly examiner who asked me if I could come in Monday or Tuesday to complete my test. I was informed that I passed the pre-trip inspection and would not have to go through that again, but I will have to run through the air brake test once more and show that the Spring Parking Brake Release Valve operates normally and conduct my driving skills tests and on the road tests.

Even though the MVA examiners do not fully understand Military Vehicles, if you stop long enough to speak to the right person, you will find that they are not all out to ensure you fail, some of them are pretty compassionate towards certain situations and would like to clear up any misunderstandings so that you CAN succeed!

Now all I need is a driver so that I can practice throughout the weekend so that I'm ready come Tuesday morning. Any one in Maryland with a CDL up for a ride? :)

Bonte

Last edited:

spicergear

A local trucking school in PA does the test, places like LCTC will do the test for around $200 if you have your med card to use their truck. That's the way I'm going, have to get the physical for $75 then the driving test. Already have knowledge test out of the way.

I was told by several people, never take a military truck...just too many differences. They could try to fail you for lack of marker lights; just too much to gamble.

338lapua09

Good to hear that they worked with you ...Now don't forget to watch for that bridge hieght sign..lol they got me on that one years ago..plus there was no sign to begin with..

Good luck..I my be free on sunday if you need a ride along..LMK

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dash knobs

Might be a mute point now but I remember from my parts selling days that the color of the knob is color coded for a specific purpose. The fact that the knob was not yellow should have told the inspector it is not a parking spring brake.

I remember red, yellow, and black and I am probably missing some with each having a specific reference and maybe even shape as i remember some are hexagonal.

Best of luck on your quest.

Juan

Bonte

Just as an aside, are you planning on using the vehicle commercially or just as a "historic/pleasure vehicle?" you can get a class B non-CDL and skip many of the CDL requirements.
According to both the MVA & SHA, a non-commercial CDL only permits you to drive specific big vehicles like emergency vehicles, farm tractors, big RV's etc (list can be found on the MVA's website). Even though my registration is historic, the vehicle is still considered a commercial vehicle and isn't called out in the non-commercial list so a non-commercial CDL wouldn't work in this case.

Bonte

Bonte

Good to hear that they worked with you ...Now don't forget to watch for that bridge hieght sign..lol they got me on that one years ago..plus there was no sign to begin with..

Good luck..I my be free on sunday if you need a ride along..LMK
If you'd like to take a trip, I'd love to be able to work on my skills prior to the test on Tuesday! Will PM you my info.

Thanks!
Bonte

Bonte

Final update, I now have my CDL!

I took my rescheduled test and I passed. I can now drive my 5-ton legally :)

Thank you all for your support. If anyone reads this in the future and needs help with passing their CDL in Maryland, feel free to contact me.

Bonte

sxemike

If anyone reads this in the future and needs help with passing their CDL in Maryland, feel free to contact me.
If anyone needs help in VA, let me know...I can tell you exactly what you need to say/do to pass for a class B. Or I can get you information directly from the testers manual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks