• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed "U" Joint

bchauvette

The M944 lost a “U” joint on the way to the Georgia meet and greet.
First and foremost thanks Andy D w/Acorns., Ken, Andy C. and Carrie-Ann (Dorothy).
Once again it was proven that MV’s are just a catalyst to be close caring friends.
Bless all of you.

The smoke was so bad I thought I had a tire fire!!!! Never had a smoking failed “U” joint.
We took out the drive shaft and drove the 50 plus miles home on front wheel drive.

Have 2 interesting Vietnam stories around this.

The $50,000.00 question:

The performance on the way home was absolutely awesome!!!! Hills where it would
lose speed gained, tried to keep it a 50 mph but every time I looked at the speedo it was
doing 60. The sweet spot before was less than 55. Throttle settings for a particular speed was
less. Ran cooler. That wonderful Cummins “marbles in a can” resonance was more pronounced.

Why? I don’t has a clue.

zout

Read something on the Greet thread about Andy doing a recovery - glad you posted this up of the event - glad all went well and Andy being available to assist.

Butch - its easier to pull a chain than push one - but I doubt that thinking has anything to do with the power - but it made me think of that thought. Was there any change in fuel mileage to go with the power.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Less drive line load/bind/drag.

bchauvette

Read something on the Greet thread about Andy doing a recovery - glad you posted this up of the event - glad all went well and Andy being available to assist.

Butch - its easier to pull a chain than push one - but I doubt that thinking has anything to do with the power - but it made me think of that thought. Was there any change in fuel mileage to go with the power.
Didn't note the mileage. But guessing it improved. Everything that was turning before drive shaft removal is turning after. The only difference is that the two rear diffs are powering the truck and the , exactly the same plus steering knuckles, are after. Could an additional Diff suck that much power when driving? Could I have something wrong with a diff that is sucking power only while that diff is driving? but not coasting?

B.T.W. All turned out well because I got my hugs before leaving.

Going to post a "Butch repairs a M939 "U" joint docu-drama.

andy3

Glad I could pull off an assist and help a friend. The 5 acorns were trying to sprout out every window of the MV roadside assistance vehicle. (I think I have 4 assists with my service truck now, going to lobby for an XM designation soon)

Butch, after you repair the u-joint you could hook up the middle axle and disconnect the rear to see how performance is. Hope this is an inexpensive repair. I seem to remember you have serviced the differentials lately, is that correct?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The rears in our trucks being connected live WITHOUT a power divider work against each other, in turn causing a power drain, mpg drain. just for grins, pull #2 axles, drive for a while, you will see what I mean, but BE CAREFULL, you can get stuck on a wet speed bump (it has been done before)

andy3

Ron, Thank you for the confirmation of my hunch. I have to admit, I laughed out loud for the speed bump remark. What a way to get your man card revoked in front of God and everyone.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ron, Thank you for the confirmation of my hunch. I have to admit, I laughed out loud for the speed bump remark. What a way to get your man card revoked in front of God and everyone.
The speed bump issue took place with a WELL RESEPCED moderator involved, but his name will stay a SS archived secret.

bchauvette

Guess what not all the "U" joints are the same!!!!!! The joints from the transfer case to the middle axle is larger. In my case with the long chassis there are 4 of them. Natually before that came to light I ordered two kits. Looks like Andy D's prayers are working. I appears by accident or is that Providence I ordered the right ones. Prices range from so cheap I wouldn't buy to O.M.G. Ordered two SKF kits fro fleabay new $26.00 plus S/H

The assembly has been taken apart, it was a bear. got picks.

bchauvette

Anybody ever warm up the yoke before pressing the cups in? Not talking red hot just warm like with a propane touch. Can you think of any reason why not as long as you don't get it so hot you ruin the seals or cook the grease.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks