• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fair Price ???

rod

This afternoon while on the way to town, I was about to pass an old garage where I had looked at couple of "GL" CUCVs sitting there a couple of years ago. I decided to stop in to see if he had an alternator he might want to sale since I needed a spare. To make a long story short, I bought a CUCV alternator from him for $20. Based on how the alternator looked and felt when I spun it, I believe I got a great buy. Time will tell when I test it.

My question is, what would be a fair price for an engine the fellow claims was running good when he pulled from a 1008 that was rusty pretty bad and he parted out? The engine looks good but to me it is in an un-known condition.

Also, what would be a fair price for the 24volt starter off the engine? He priced it at $100 bucks but I believe I could buy it for $75 or $80.

I really don't need the engine or the starter but if I buy them, they will be my spares.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I bought a couple of 6.2 takeout from G.L. for $150 each in the cans, a few months back. They came without starters or alternators & glow plug wiring harnesses but were otherwise complete. Kinda like buying a pig in a poke, but I just wanted them for spare parts & because I've never rebuilt a diesel before, & thought these would be good canidates to learn something about them on. John

markg

i had a 6.2 with 15k out of a 1009 that had a top end knock. i sold it for 300 to a friend and told him that i was sure there was a piece of a glow plug in the top of one piston. he yanked the head, and sure enough that's what he found. he's happy, driving the truck daily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks