• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fair Radio Sales in Lima OH - going out of business - FOREVER

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to Fair Radio a couple weeks back with a friend. I was all about going to post an update in my existing thread about Fair Radio, just posting up pics and whatnot, when I got an email from same friend. He heard that Fair Radio Sales, which has been a mainstay in the surplus and vintage radio and electronics world since post-WW2, is going out of business the end of this year. I confirmed it today. From what I gathered, business there is doing fine, lots of sales and customers, but the current owner would like to retire and he has not had any luck in finding someone who wants to purchase the business from him. So, without someone to take over the operation of the business, he has no other options but to sell what he can before he closes up for good. I'm told sometime in December 2023 is the end.

Any business staying around for over 75 years is a thing to marvel at. Takes a good crew full of knowledge, dedication to their craft and customer service to last that long. I have rarely heard anything bad about Fair Radio since I've been in this hobby, so suffice to say they've been great for many many THOUSANDS of customers over the decades. Hell, I've talked to guys who bought from Fair in the 50s and 60s, they go back a LONG while.

It's hard for me to accept this. In most hobbies, there is a cornerstone, someone who has been around for a while, and eventually, they are the only ones left. For years, many have felt that "well, if I need XXX part or YYY accessory, Fair Radio will always be there." Sad truth is, not for long, and once they are gone, THAT'S IT. You have to hope the things you need for your current or future projects turn up at the MV rallies you attend or pop up on eBay. Fair is about the last big retailer of military surplus radio equipment in existence. To accept their fate is to accept an end of an era.

I plan to return there sometime in a couple months when I have more free time, I'll rescue what I can for my own purposes and wants. I hope that you would consider making a visit there in Lima Ohio this fall to Fair Radio before they disappear forever. They are advertising that you can "buy an item, a pallet, or a truckload. Come and make a deal. Cash and carry." Here's the website: https://fairradio.com/

In the meantime, enjoy some pics of Fair I took when I was there! Some pics of the stuff outside and in a long shed, a few inside pics. Racks of small parts and radio antenna sections.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics. Pallets and stacks of parts and u-fix units of all sorts. Check out the last pic - Johnson Desk Kilowatt, it's a ham radio transmitter and a 1KW amplifier built into a metal desk!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front room pics, aisles of military and civilian radio equipment, test equipment, manuals, pieces and parts.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last few pics of the front room. Also what I purchased.

My buddy got some odds and ends, and a nice WWII BC-348 receiver. I snagged a R-1051 receiver with the proper shock mount, a few rack-mounted components of dual- and triple-diversity receiver units, a flight data recorder (I save some weird stuff), a GRM-55 test set (yay I can repair PRC-25s again!) and some antenna bases and brushguards for my CUCV project. Gotta save more next time!

Attachments

Redleg130

That is really bad news. I got a PRC-9 from them not too long ago. They were super helpful. I have been looking at their stock and have been planning to get some stuff, dunno if ill have time to gather enough spare cash to swing it. I may have to take a road trip there and see what I can manage.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i drive by that place weekly and i thought they closed a long time ago seeing how run down it looks. If anyone is in need of something let me know as i work about a mile away from it. I know next to nothing about the radio stuff but would be happy to pick something up.

Last edited:

Wile E. Coyote

Last few pics of the front room. Also what I purchased.

My buddy got some odds and ends, and a nice WWII BC-348 receiver. I snagged a R-1051 receiver with the proper shock mount, a few rack-mounted components of dual- and triple-diversity receiver units, a flight data recorder (I save some weird stuff), a GRM-55 test set (yay I can repair PRC-25s again!) and some antenna bases and brushguards for my CUCV project. Gotta save more next time!
Pic 3 there...looks like they have a couple of the AN/GRC-215 transmitter-receiver exciters left that they had on their website probably 20 years ago for the Regency Net post-apocalypse/ survivable HF radio system. Cool. Too bad Lima, OH is about as far from me as possible without having to tread water.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going back there in a couple weeks with a friend for one last snagging trip - save what we can while it's there.

Hope there's some stuff left, IMHO - I heard from several sources the walk-in customer volume has REALLY shot up, guess a lot of other radio guys have the same idea.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, went back to get some more stuff a few weeks ago. Prices were more negotiable than previous, but not as much as I expected. Did find out that they are planning to stay in business a little longer, till about May. They just have so much stuff it's they're still going to have their hands full finding homes for everything. They have found a buyer for all their supply of vacuum tubes, so there is a growing pile of boxes in the tubes area there that are going to be reserved for previously said buyer.

I went home with a smattering of stuff - a couple more CV-116 RTTY converters, a T-827 transmitter and matching AM-3007 amplifier, the matching WRC-1 control head, about 6-7 heavy duty digital multimeters, 3 FRR-49 fixed frequency receivers, an SRR-13 VLF receiver in excellent shape, and a handful of parts and accessories.

My friend didn't spend quite as much, but got a complete BC-312 WWII receiver, an ARC-5 receiver set, a really cool R-100 morale receiver, and more spare stuff.

Had a great time saving some cool radio equipment, I only hope to get back there one more time before they are gone, but we'll see. Some pics for you to enjoy...

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics...

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last batch of pics.

Attachments

Wile E. Coyote

I've heard from a number of others that the expected "closing out pricing"/ discounts basically...aren't. Maybe that will change as we get closer to May (or whenever) but if it were me trying to clear out that much inventory I don't think I'd wait that long to make the necessary adjustments.

jimmr

many thanks for the pics, I've gotten their catalog off and on since about 1968? I'm really discouraged to see them stop and if only someone could walk in there and carry on. I saw a R-390 in there (i thought they were gone) ....... i will buy some ms116 antenna sections while they are still shipping ......... I hope somone comes forth that can honestly run the place, answer the phone, ship stuff and pay the owner something to maintain insurance. a person could spend a week in there walking around!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks