• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan and brake fluid questions

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello

I just purchased an MTVR. Waiting for EUC to clear. Planning on a drive back recovery/adventure CA to MA. Yes, I know I’m taking a risk here. I’m planning on towing Yukon XL behind after driving it out there. At least I’ll have an escape vehicle. Don’t know how many saw this but I’ve got the one where the fan is “non functioning“. I’m assuming these are engaged until air releases fan if not needed then valve controls air. Video is clear. Fan is not rotating at all. Belt is there. You’d think even if clutch trashed that the fan would freewheel a little. All I can think is plastic is sheared off metal center ring. Any other ideas appreciated.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
When truck cranks with no air pressure, fan engages until air builds. How do you know fan isn’t working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When truck cranks with no air pressure, fan engages until air builds. How do you know fan isn’t working?

You can see in video no spin at all with motor running. And I assume not running long. Totally still.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does the function check video in the cab show the air pressure ? They do that before they do the under hood start or running video

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a fan on ebay for sale.

I think I have 1 or 2 in my stash
I picked a fan up just in case. For those wondering The brake fluid was for a diff post. Beer and posting. 🙄. Was wondering what typically in unimog FLU419. DOT 5 or 3. Realized I can just test myself.

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replying to air pressure question. Yes air pressure looks in good range. My take would be that no air would leave fan locked and spinning anyway.

Nomadic

Looking at the pic on the lower right (near the Gov Planet logo) it looks like a serpentine pulley. Near the fan it looks like another pulley. Maybe a belt is missing from the fan?

MTVR

Looking at the pic on the lower right (near the Gov Planet logo) it looks like a serpentine pulley. Near the fan it looks like another pulley. Maybe a belt is missing from the fan?
He's probably gonna need a belt on there if he's gonna try driving it... ;)

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's probably gonna need a belt on there if he's gonna try driving it... ;)
You are correct. I does look like that lower pulley is without belt. Can’t really tell if there’s one on fan but it sure seems likely belt related.

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct. I does look like that lower pulley is without belt. Can’t really tell if there’s one on fan but it sure seems likely belt related.
And now I see there’s only one belt so.... Hopefully something catastrophic didn’t snap the belt.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Dust indicates a Cali truck, I’d bank on the belt being dry rotted and maybe popped. Hope no one over heated it c12s absolutely will not tolerate any overheating they’ll crack the head and sometimes blow a head gasket

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine has protection from over heating. It will shut itself down.

The other thing that would stop the fan is the fan off switch in the cab.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
The engine has protection from over heating. It will shut itself down.

The other thing that would stop the fan is the fan off switch in the cab.
I don’t believe this is correct, the military wants equipment to function even when in poor condition to do so. Such as they wouldn’t want an armored MTVR to shut down from a blown radiator when retreating from a combat zone with a bed full of wounded etc condemning them.

I’m still diagnosing my AC cooling fan input and one of the things I did was using a series of resistors and potentiometers to test my gauge and ECM in accuracy of readings, truck was truly at 190° but I was able to simulate 270° input to the ECM and the truck remained running. 270° would ultimately be a complete melt down in truth

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t believe this is correct, the military wants equipment to function even when in poor condition to do so. Such as they wouldn’t want an armored MTVR to shut down from a blown radiator when retreating from a combat zone with a bed full of wounded etc condemning them.

I’m still diagnosing my AC cooling fan input and one of the things I did was using a series of resistors and potentiometers to test my gauge and ECM in accuracy of readings, truck was truly at 190° but I was able to simulate 270° input to the ECM and the truck remained running. 270° would ultimately be a complete melt down in truth

Elijah,

I checked the Cat engine manual and it states the the engine will shut down. Now, you might be correct and perhaps the Marines disabled that feature. I don't think they did because Cat would not warranty an engine with the over heat shut down disabled and I know the government got a warranty on the trucks.

I am curious about your fooling the ECM as far as operating temperature. If you really did simulate an over heat, then alarms would have gone off in the cab and trouble codes would have been logged in the ECM. Were you able to clear the codes? I wonder if engine over heat codes could be cleared?

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks