• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan blades breaking

rookie

What is the correct way to enter mud puddles on the humvee . I was out with the humvee having a little fun and i must of gone to a big mud water hole and one of my blades broke in the fan. Now i was told that u cant go fast when hitting water on a humvee what is the deal is there any way around this. So be careful out if u dont want to have bloody fore arms from changing out your fan blade

Action

why would you enter the water fast?
No offense, but get the operator's manual to learn how to operate your Humvee. I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen.

rookie

When u are out mudding sometimes u enter the mud hole a little fast to get thru thats why u go a little faster i dont mean 30 mph just a quick acceleration now i was told that u can enter it it at about 5 mph is that correct.

Action

it should only be in 30" water without the complete fording kit installed and activated. 30" will not hit the fan. Do you have the fording kit?
This "hobby" will get real expensive real quick for some folks.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer the OP, there is no (electrical) fan disengagement like some other vehicles have. While the HMMWV is a well engineered and capable off road vehicle, it is not meant for "muddin". I'm sure the operators manual describes a well-thought out entry with spotters (soldier B & C) as well as pre-entry depth checks and the like. YMMV. Proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:

Action

If the fan clutch is not locked to spin the fan, it will still be spinning but you can stop it with your fingers. I believe the TM tells you what to do before entering water to stop the clutch from spinning the fan. in the "fording" section. no spotter is needed, and you do it from the driver seat.

TM 9-2320-280-10

rookie

Yes action i think u are right i will see if i can find it. Ive had my humvee for over a year and this has never happen and i have fun with its not by no means a submarine i have a samurai for that deep stuff. Its mostly trail riding if anybody finds this in the tm please post it here thanks

dilvoy

From Memory, you put the trans in neutral and fully depress the throttle so the linkage activates the switch that is on the right hand side of an early Injector Pump. Once that is done, the Time Delay Module should stop fluid pressure for the fan at the "Cadallic" Valve for a short period of time. Try this at your own risk. You may be able to ford safely the way that you did it with a new fan, but one that is thirty years old may be brittle and cause your problem. I hope you didn't install a used fan!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Memory, you put the trans in neutral and fully depress the throttle so the linkage activates the switch that is on the right hand side of an early Injector Pump. Once that is done, the Time Delay Module should stop fluid pressure for the fan at the "Cadallic" Valve for a short period of time. Try this at your own risk. You may be able to ford safely the way that you did it with a new fan, but one that is thirty years old may be brittle and cause your problem. I hope you didn't install a used fan!

George is 100% correct....you win the prize.
its the same function for passing when the fan is engaged...stomp the accel pedal and the fan goes to free wheel allowing for more power.

Action

I was trying to get them to look it up! I have a viscous clutch on mine. I guess I would just wait till it stopped if it was running. That 24" or so fan is loud.

rookie

Gotcha i apreciate the info and i did replace with a new fan from kascar. How about if one was to disconnect the quick disconnect from the fan clutch will that work also just a thought

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer the OP, there is no (electrical) fan disengagement like some other vehicles have. While the HMMWV is a well engineered and capable off road vehicle, it is not meant for "muddin". I'm sure the operators manual describes a well-thought out entry with spotters (soldier B & C) as well as pre-entry depth checks and the like. YMMV. Proceed at your own risk.
Thanks for the TM link Action. I was joking a bit with the soldier B comment. I should've used some emoticons. I edited my post to decribe better what I meant... No switch in the cab.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not made for muddin? Is any vehicle for that matter? But I disagree...ive only ever seen one broken fan blade, and that was due to a misaligned fan shroud. Which I suspect may be the OP's root cause. But I wasn't there to see what really happened. Can't tell you if the fan was locked or in freewheel. Those fan blades are freaking incredibly hard to break.
you won't just snap a blade off...beleive me.
I had a 95 H1 that when I went off-road and the body started flexing due to extreme angles, the fan blade would strike the
shroud...it was mis adjusted.
There is a metal clip as well that goes from the radiator to the top of the fan shroud that keeps the shroud away from the blade During flexing. Is yours present?

rookie

Yes retiredwar horse mine is present. Maybe my fan was engaged when i went into the water and also throw in an old fan then maybe this is what would happen but yeah hummers were made for pretty much all kind of terrain just look at am generals video and u will see what they are capable of .

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If i u disconect the quick disconnect that goes into the fan clutch then the will not engage im i correct on that.

No...the system when "broken" is engaged....meaning, it's fail safe. Deny it voltage, it locks on, deny it hydraulic pressure, it locks on. This system is no different then other mil trucks, but they use air instead of hydraulic fluid....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks