• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan clutch not there.

chicagodiesel

Hello All,

Recently acquired M1009 has a fan but no fan clutch...can anyone go into possible things this may cause to go wrong? I've driven it about 3000 miles and had no problems. Been on the highway (one 1200 miles trip) and can get up to 70-75 no problem. Just wondering thoughts. Thanks ahead of time.

Also, cheap CDR valves on ebay right now. 30 to the door.

Doug J.

chicagodiesel

I'll post pics when I get home tonight. In lieu of photos, yes, it is attached with a spacer. The previous owner had some fun putting on wrong belts, redoing the wiring, and who knows what else.

Barrman

Nothing will be harmed except your fuel mileage and the extra noise at idle. What kind of mpg are you getting at those speeds. Mine goes from 20 mpg at 62 mph to 16 mpg at 70-75 is why I ask.

chicagodiesel

I have attached pictures. Just a spacer with the fan.

Also, have any ideas what those 2 unattached wires are? They weren't hooked up when I got it and if it works it works. Like I said PO had some fun rewiring and I've been trying to figure it out. Currently all electrical works except battery meter. Thanks.

I averaged about 20-22 mpgs on my long trip but took it pretty easy ~60-65. 70-75 puts me down around 16-18.

Attachments

ctmustang

IF I were you Id definately put a clutch on it. Yeah its plenty driveable like it is but not the way it was intended. Might be a little hard to keep warm in the winter. I wander if it was having an over heating problem or something. You may want to check and see if it has a thermostat in it. Just an idea!
Also have you ever seen a stressed out fan come apart because some yahoo removed the clutch-what a mess.
:beer:

bushhawg73

I can not really tell what color they are, one looks orange and the other looks yellow. Here are two pics of the same area on my truck. I have a manual glow plug activation switch, it is the black wire with the new yellow insulated terminal on the upper small stud. I use this to ground the solenoid to engauge the glow plugs.

Attachments

rlwm211

That is a flex fan and is designed to feather at higher rpms. The creative wiring and other issues you have mentioned tell me that the previous owner was not one to keep the cucv original.

You will need a stock fan blade as well as a thermal clutch. The "fan cluth" is actually a thermally operated clutch that increases fan rpm with increased heat in the cooling system.

Make sure you get one designed for the direction of of rotation of your waterpump. Some fans run in the opposite direction as they are driven by a serpentine belt and on the back side which results in a reverse direction of rotation.

The flex fan will work if you decide not to change it.

I hope this helps

RL

Barrman

Those flex fans have been known to throw a blade. Hopefully, you won't be standing over the running engine to catch the blade in your chest or neck.

The "proper" set up is a clutch, fan and a fan shroud. All parts found new or used very easily.

chicagodiesel

Mighty ominous post, but I hear what you are saying as I do not want a fan blade through the heart. I think I am going to leave it on for the moment as I get around to wiring, glow plugs, injectors, shocks, and lift pump. Might have to change it out before the Chicago winter though.

Upon looking at the wiring further: those disconnected wires are red (orangish) with black stripe and green. It is currently hooked up with both alternators going to the 12v junction. Both batteries are also connected there. Both batteries are (positive) connected to the firewall where the starter cable hooks up to...it is a 12v starter. Neither battery is connected directly to the other. The first battery is wired directly to the glow plug 24-12v converter. Like I said, working and continues to work going on around 100 starts and long drives with no dead batteries. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will definitely be posting more as I take the dash apart and get more into where everything is going.

Thanks for all the help. I did try and find stock fans on ebay, at parts stores, and the classified here but got nothing. Clutches seem rather simple to find. I do have the shroud off due to replacement of the harmonic balancer and other pulleys.

chicagodiesel

Got a fan and clutch at the scrap yard for 15 bucks...gonna throw a heavy duty clutch on it in a few days. Much much much quieter. Haven't been on the highway yet though.

cucvrus

https://youtu.be/DhNMHcRSNdo

That is what the fan will sound like constantly. Robbing power from the powerful 6.2 V 8 Detroit Diesel engine. With a whopping 135 HP I would think the clutch fan with the 5 blade stock fan would be the way to go. Never broke one yet and the replacement clutch is a 10 minute job and cost less then $50. US. Good Luck.

acesneights1

Has anyone replaced the stock 5 blade fan with a 6 blade? If so what brand of fan did you use?
I'm running a 20" Duramax fan on a Kennedy Diesel Special calibration clutch but this requires a serp tine belt conversion which. iMHO is a no brainier unless your dead set on keeping it original.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks