• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan Clutch or Actuator, A3

While replacing the alternator regulator and brushes in my A3 I noticed the fan spinning freely with no pressure in the system (truck not running and tanks empty). Bought a fan clutch rebuild kit because given those symptons, I thought the actuator is good and fan clutch bad. However, when I loosened/removed the nut on the actuator, the clutch locked up tight. So does this tell me the actuator is bad? I would think if the actuator was bad and leaking air the fan would be locked up all the time. So before I pull everything apart and rebuilt the fan clutch, is that even the problem?

I couldn't find anything in the TM regarding this condition.

Last edited:

farmer al 199

I rebuilt the fan clutch on my cummins 250 using the rebuilt kit, but the belt pulley that rides on the large bearing still has a lot of play in it when assembled.
the replacement bearing is the same size as the old one. Did anyone have similar problems or am I missing something ? Any help would be great. I use this truck for work and have been without it for a week try to figure this out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks