Fan Clutch Solenoid Aftermarket Replacment

joelnelson1207

Dear group & Ronmar,

Update on my electrical problem.

#1 - I follow Ronmar's instructions to unplug the temperature sensor.

#2 - I start truck, switch fording fan switch to OFF, bring truck up to temp (which because it is so cold blooded took 2 runs up a steep grade on the highway at full throttle - I never drive this truck at full throttle - and even then I barely got the temp to 205F).

Once temp at 205F I switch the Fan Fording switch to ON. Fan solenoid dumps air, fan engages, and brings temp down immediately. I repeat multiple times and all successful.

So, I guess this tells me:

(a) - I can do nothing more and simple drive truck and when temp gets above 200F I can manually engage fan with fording switch in cab.
(b) - I can buy a new temperature switch, install switch, and if it works great.
(c) - I can buy a new temperature switch, install switch, and if I get the same shut down / error I then know it is NOT temperature switch problem BUT instead a wiring short which I'll have to track down.

My plan is to try a new temp switch and update you guys. Thanks everyone and especially RonMar for your time and expertise. Appreciate you guy.

Sincerely,
Joel

joelnelson1207

Opps, one more thing! Any suggestions on where I can a Temperature Switch cheaper than this?

o_O

coachgeo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opps, one more thing! Any suggestions on where I can a Temperature Switch cheaper than this?

o_O
maybe https://www.ebay.com/itm/2915886052...xlF02LOhM5Z0JkfvhVV-4bbCRHFsRQ7AaArXTEALw_wcB

and swap wires from yours to this one? see if seller knows at what temp this unit switches? Maybe thread pitch and some dimensions so you can see if it is similar size threads and depth, Normally open or Normally closed (you need closed or modify based on what @Ronmar says below) etc...

Last edited:

Ronmar

maybe https://www.ebay.com/itm/2915886052...xlF02LOhM5Z0JkfvhVV-4bbCRHFsRQ7AaArXTEALw_wcB

and swap wires from yours to this one? see if seller knows at what temp this unit switches? Maybe thread pitch and some dimensions so you can see if it is similar size threads and depth etc...
The part cross number for that sw 7N9785 says it trips at 225F which is a little high… it is normally closed though, which is the hard part of this equation. there are lots of automotive coolant/fan control switches out there, but most all are normally open until they reach set temp. You would need to add a relay in circuit to invert the logic to use a more common normally open fan switch. That or a normally open fan solenoid valve and some other re-wiring…

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks