• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FarmDeuce

reb87

Ive been using the m35 m109 and 818 pulling 447 for planting this spring. The m35 has a 1800g water tank in it and pulls a m105 with chemicals for the sprayer. M109 and m818/447 have been storing corn seed in a waterproof setting and bringing the seed to the field for the planter. 447 worked good letting the sides down and setting out 12 bags of corn to load into the 12 seed hoppers on the planter. I wish I had thought to get a pic but oh well.

Attachments

50shooter

Looks like you got the right idea. How much $ could other farms save if they did this too. You can't touch another modern vehicle with the capabilities of a deuce for $3,000...in my opinion but I'm sure someone has other ideas.

papercu

After WWII Willys-Overland tried to sell the Jeep to be used as a tractor.
A lot of the farmers here use the 5t to haul onions from the fields. Never seen one in operation but some reason they converted them to dump from the side. Wayne
Willys Jeep CJ2A Advertising

maybefixit

I have a reprint of the Chilton's manual for 1940's cars, and it includes information on an optional PTO for the Willys CJ-2 / CJ-2A. I always thought it was interesting that they'd worked to make it able to do so much. The PTO ended with a large spool, which I guessed was intended for the older large-belt type drive system (like was used on the older steam equipment). It didn't look like it was set up to drive a shaft arrangement directly like modern tractors.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The willys PTO can do both. Flat belt drive is a adapter for the standard PTO spline. I have one for my cj-2a, has the PTO out the rear, then PTO to the front for winch, with two shift levers.

The old jeeps came with welders, generators, sickle bar mowers, ditchers, plows, and who knows what else.

poppop

One of our antique tractor club members also runs a jeep salvage businness. He has an old Willys with the three point hitch on the back. He brought it to one of our plowdays with a harrow on the back and plowed right along with the tractors.

reb87

I got one of the ones sold yesterday. Its a m915a1, Im looking forward to comparing the two transmissions to see if the 5sp allison can manage 80k lbs. Thanks again for the heads up. Ross