• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Farming with 915A1s

lankyevilme

I've been meaning to share my farming photos with the steel soldiers community, and the post about using 915s commercially got me to get around to it. Here are some pictures of us farming with our 915A1s. We are really happy with them for the short hauls, we haul out of the fields to our storage bins about 1-10 miles, and to the local ethanol plant in the winter (about 40 miles.) I wouldn't want to spend all day on the highway in one, and I feel sorry for the soldiers that had to do it - no air ride or air ride seats. At least the newer Army semis look more comfortable for the driver.

Here's a link to a facebook photo album with a LOT more pictures:
Harvesting with US Army Surplus | Facebook

Attachments

lankyevilme

Pic #4 was taken from the top of our 104' grain leg (elevator,) heh, not our US Army surplus farm Helicopter. One of the semis which we aptly named MONG, came out of Jeff City like yours did, Andy.

dozer1

Holy ****, who took pic #4?

I am guessing it's from the top of the grain leg. Nice pics! I have to agree with you, nice grain trucks, work great for getting the crop home or to a pretty close market. It would get old if the market was'nt so close. Heck it does anyway in my Volvo, which has a pretty nice interior for a '95

lankyevilme

Ah, actually that was my wife. She loves to climb the leg and take pictures. She's always looking for an excuse to climb it, and the view is great from up there, especially when the crops are growing.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to see those trucks put to work on a farm. That is a use that makes a lot of sense. Farm trucks sit a lot, don't get a lot o miles. Usually short hauls. Sure could have used a truck like that when I was in the farming business.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After driving one to TX from SC and back, I can tell you it sucks being in on all day for days on end!

Most of my oil runs are 5-8hrs, so that's not 'too' bad. A/C and air ride seats (maybe cab if I can pull it off) are coming soon.

Hamma Down

Nice pics and it is good to see these trucks with a life after the military. I am sure yours are Desert Storm Veterans! Farm work is well suited for them. Liked the pics on facebook as well.

Hooty481

Nice looking rig. I dont have any pictures yet but i have been using my M818Turbo to haul wood shavings for bedding for our horses. We have a 40 foot van trailer with the top cut out. I drive about 30 miles each way to pick them up and i seems like it takes a year to make a trip but it does it without heistation. Nice farm you got there too.

lankyevilme

The transmissions work good hauling big loads out of soft fields. The 55MPH top speed would get annoying if you were trying to run it on the interstate a lot, but not worrying about shifting is great. A really big load doesn't bother the transmission at all, I assume the army used them a lot harder than we do, and we aren't particularly nice to them.

My primary vehicle in Iraq was one of those AM General 915's, that thing was a beast! we would purposely load the crap outta it to see what it'd do. I still believe they'd out pull the freight shaker 915a2. Pulled a civy 50' trailer behind it mostly, 872 when hauling a conex or 2. It sure was nice, no creature comforts just roll down the window and let her roll... sure wish I had her here in the states....

Haha Hmm that sure sounds tempting...:driver:

PS If anyone finds one with a horrible od paint job that is covering black and tan tiger stripe and has a tan number one on the roof let me know. thatd be it. She sure looked sweet black and tan tiger stripped.. drove it round balad for a month that way till I got a talking to by our full bird. never forget it. " Son that looks Bad a$$! but you gotta do something different".. rattle canned it od except for the roof. She'll prolly never make it back home, most likely become a permanent citizen over there for us to blow up later unfortunately ...

Last edited: