• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fast Axles

timberrrrrr

Hey folks

I know this has been talked about lots in this forum. I'm new here and would appreciate help . . .

I have a 1995 M1078. I would like to install new ring and pinion to get better highway comfort, lower rpm, and a little more speed.

looking around where this was discussed, I can't seem to find any leads on where to get ring and pinions currently, everybody is sold out. I called Meritor, the kit is part number B416561 to go to a 307 rear ratio. Unfortunately I've been told it is a military only item and I can't buy them.

Anybody have any leads where a guy could get some? I've talked to a few shops that rebuild these trucks and install the higher speed gears, but they won't sell me the parts nor help to locate them.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMTVSales, the maker of the Accela trucks in Montana, seems to be able to get new ones. I think they have a price listed on their website, like $3500.

timberrrrrr

I called FMTV sales in Montana. They can purchase the parts new, but they won't sell them anymore. They said they only use them for their vehicles.

Any other options?

Strobi1

I bought used 3rd members from bryce wasielak. He is located in FL, you can find him on Facebook

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just left Bryce a message, will see how that shakes out when he calls back.

Am I correct to assume there are no new options for us to purchase?
Not hardly. You can always just upgrade the tire size. You get 6 to 8 more mph.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

coachgeo

I just left Bryce a message, will see how that shakes out when he calls back...?
In my last conversation with Bryce in Mid June he said the remaining stock he has is ALL spoken for. He figured in about 6 months from that conversation he will know what; if any, he has left (example... if a few are left over due to any folk reneging on their promise to purchase and have him install on the next trip he travels their direction)

Maybe steve6x6x6 in here???? though he has stated in the past he prefers to sell whole axles and not parts of them.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Not hardly. You can always just upgrade the tire size. You get 6 to 8 more mph. ...
A member on Pirate4x4 has reported to me that he now has 1,000 miles on his 53's mounted on his M1078 and is having no problems.. Unfortunately have not gotten full details on what he's done to accommodate the tires nor what limitations he has found.

In the other highspeed axle thread if recall right it was said the math works out to one needing around 58" tires with stock gears .. to match the same ratio has high speed gears with the stock tires.

scottmandu

Meritor still shows the gears as a regular production part number, they are expensive however and about a 3-4 month wait.

53's will fit an LMTV A0 without the winch with little fanfare (need to trim the front storage boxes. The later trucks and winch trucks need to have the reservoir tank guard modified.

timberrrrrr

Thanks guys for the input.

No returned Call from Bryce in Florida yet.

The stock tires are plenty big, don't think I'm interested in going bigger. Fast axles is the way I want to go.

Does anybody know a company that works on military rigs that might be able to order ring and pinions?

Meritor says they are current parts, they just won't sell them to anybody but military

coachgeo

The gears are ITAR so you know... not a big deal but can't be exported.
"ITAR" Had to look that one up. for others whom went ??huh?? ..... here ya go.

ITAR = (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) and the EAR (Export Administration Regulations) are export control regulations run by different departments of the US Government. Both of them are designed to help ensure that defense related technology does not get into the wrong hands.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
"ITAR" Had to look that one up. for others whom went ??huh?? ..... here ya go.

ITAR = (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) and the EAR (Export Administration Regulations) are export control regulations run by different departments of the US Government. Both of them are designed to help ensure that defense related technology does not get into the wrong hands.
Yeah, Don't want to leave rows and rows for miles of vehicles in the desert now do they.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks