• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fast Axles

coachgeo

I contacted rushgears.com. They don't sell gears for automotive applications. They recommended:
tci automotive
motion industries
noticed a little hint US Gear's website that made me go hmmmm.... "this could be an advantage"..... appears US gear is owned by AxleTech now their email for USgear is aftermarket@axletech.com

considering axletech makes military axles too.... might make them more expensive too. but odds are they would know more about this type of axle we would be asking to have gears made for.

AxleTech International, Inc.
axletech.com
Headquarters: Michigan
Founded: 2003

Subsidiaries: United States Gear Corporation, ...
AKA USgear

Last edited:

Aernan

noticed a little hint US Gear's website that made me go hmmmm.... "this could be an advantage"..... appears US gear is owned by AxleTech now their email for USgear is aftermarket@axletech.com

considering axletech makes military axles too....

AxleTech International, Inc.
Company

axletech.com

Headquarters: Michigan

Founded: 2003

Subsidiaries: United States Gear Corporation,

AKA USgear

might make them more expensive too. but odds are they would know more about this type of axle we would be asking to have gears made for.

ok us gears has a form to request custom gears but I don't know how to answer all the questions. So I'll give it my best guess.

Does anyone else want some custom 2.90 ratio gears?

Aernan

I have found the gears listed for $1700 for a ring + pinion and I have found them listed for $2000 as well. I have no idea what the price of custom cut gears cost so I'll share whatever I find out.

yertnamreg

Yes pretty pretty please! Especially if they're priced reasonably

Thanks for doing the leg work on this.

Edit: I looked at the biggest gears they make on Jegs (10" Ford) and the gear sets run $925 each as a reference point. Anyone know how big our ring gears are?

Last edited:

Aernan

I'm guessing our ring/pinion are large because ARB didn't have a blank that was big enough to make a locker for them. Here are some of the details I could find:

Product Description DIFFERENTIAL - SERVICE GEAR SET Status Active Weight 102.40 Unit Pack 1 UPC Code 737238534631 Brand Meritor Marketing Group Gearsets Axle Model RSXX160 Gear to Case Fastener KIT 2426 Hardware MN, W Pinion 41267 Tooth Count 14-43T Ratios 3.07 Ratio 3.07 Spline Sizes 2.35-46 Spline Size 2.35-46 Bill of Materials: Part No : A 39898 4 Quantity : 1 Description : DIFFERENTIAL - SERVICE GEAR SET Part No : 40X1233 Quantity : 1 Description : AXLE HARDWARE - LOCK NUT Part No : 1229N1730 Quantity : 1 Description : AXLE HARDWARE - WASHER Cross References:

this one suggests we have giant gears:
Status Active Weight 102.40

I believe the diff with the gears in it weighs in at 150 lbs.

coachgeo

dont forget 6x6 folk. the middle axle R&P may be little different. Front and rear most axles I believe are the same. check part numbers to verify?

yertnamreg

I'm 6x6 folk ;)

Edit: Looked at -24 and the front and rear ring/pinion appear to be amboid gears, while the intermediate is a bevel gear...or at least thats what the parts description says.

Last edited:

metalman99

I may be able to help, I'm not familiar with the exact gears you need, but I do have a Gen 1 Caiman chassis that I would sell the gears from. This is the Caiman with the Stewart Stevenson Chassis, not the Independent suspension one. I recall those are the higher speed ratio.
If that sounds like what you're looking for, email me at tdevito@dynacoil.com

timberrrrrr

I found somebody who had some high speed gears and purchased the last set he had. Thanks to all that replied to this post so far.

I am ordering a set of lockers for the rear, and then I dig in to the swap.

What seals / parts should I order before hand? Where would I get them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks