• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fast idle set point

Small Prepper

Morning

In my 1985 M1009 I have noticed that the high idle is not working. (when I start it up hot or cold weather)

I went and looked at the fast idle solenoid and found that the shaft in the solenoid was about an 1/2 off the fuel throttle bracket. (not running, cold engine)

I started the truck and the solenoid engaged and almost touched the fuel throttle bracket. I pulled the wire off to test the solenoid when running and it worked fine. (the shaft dose adjust with an screw driver. I check that)

Questions : Any reason that would loosen up or would someone back it out so it will not work?

The main Question is : What is the adjustment (how close) should the shaft be from the fuel throttle bracket?

I looked in the TM's and found alot of stuff but not the adjustment setting. (Still working my way throw the TM's)

Thanks S.P.

cliffyp

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372100786.236498.jpg
The shaft should be touching. When I first got my 1028 one of the little machine screws that attach the fast idle bracket was missing. It hung away from the throttle about a 1/2" so when it was engaged it still didn't touch the throttle.
After I replaced that screw and the bracket was pulled up snug, I was able to follow the idle set procedure in the -20 TM

Barrman

A regular gas engine inductive timing light with a rpm display hooked to a pulse signal convertor works great. Most people already have the timing light but need to buy the $75-$100 convertor. I would suggest a $100 tiny tach install and then you can tell your rpm's all the time.

Keith_J

Many modern digital volt meters have a frequency measurement function. This can be used on the tach output connection on the 27SI alternators if you know the basics. I found a Delco-Remy manual online detailing this, since we all have 27Si alternators and they all have the same pulley ratio, just multiply the measured frequency (Hz) off the R terminal (one with the snap-on black boot and brown wire) by 2.9 and that is engine speed in revolutions per minute.

Connect the red lead from your DVM to the R terminal after pulling off the black cap+brown wire. Then connect the black lead from the DVM to the negative terminal of the alternator. Read the frequency in Hz, then multiply by 2.9. There is your engine RPM.

For the above correction factor, the alternator has a 3" pulley, the crankshaft pulley is 7.75" in diameter. The 27SI alternator is a 16 pole field.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks