• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fat guy in a little truck

gomerkfx700

ok first of all great site ive been readin around and i really like the deuces and would like to buy one that has been bobbed so i can build a slide in camper for for hunting fishin and that kinda stuff. but first off i have attempted to drive a deuce once and not so good im a big guy at 6'4 350 lbs the company i work for has a few 2.5s and a 5ton and ive set in both very cramped for me the steering wheel is just to large for my stature. i have drivin several tandem trucks mostly macks some with older style large wheels and mostly smaller wheels im actually pretty comfy in the macks with the small wheels could it be possible to swap in a smaller steering wheel on a power steering model deuce. and maybe a thinner seat like a racing style suspincion set or am i just at a loss and need to forget about even seeing a bobbed deuce. thanks for the help

Akicita

It's hard to steer the Deuce at low speed on hard surfaces (roads). That large steering wheel really helps reduce the need for your own muscle power when you try to steer the truck. If you get power steering installed, steering will be much easier, and you may manage fine with a smaller wheel.

I would not want a smaller seat. I think the spring seat is hard and uncomfortable enough when it's properly filled, and I am not nearly as big as you are. If you can find a short air ride seat that fits inside the Deuce and leaves you with enough leg room to safely operate the truck, you could hook it up to the air supply system of the Deuce and enjoy air ride quality seating. All your mounts would have to be custom-built - probably not impossible but costly.

Some time ago I talked to a mechanic at a charter bus repair shop who knows Deuces from his time in the army. I remember he said some of the air ride seats he remembered from older trucks may fit in the available space in the Deuce. Hooking a seat into the air system is easy. Getting the seat mounted in the truck is a much greater challenge.

I wish you good luck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site Gomer. If you add power steering, a smaller 5ton steering wheel can be swapped in the deuce. Most kits for the deuce are "air assist" kits, not true power steering, be warned to know what you are getting. Adapting seats is not very hard. I have charter bus seats mounted on stock springer bases and have helped others install air ride seats. You just need to take measurements to know what will fit.

gomerkfx700

i could easily get ahold of a airride set frame since i live in coal country trucks are everywere. i was really hopin someone would chime in and say sure im bigger than you and i fit fine with "insert your mods hear" so i would be more assured about this.

renovate7

Can you fab up some kind of formed plywood seat back, no upolstery, like the old auditoriums had? That should move you several inches further away from the steering wheel.

whyme

Can you fab up some kind of formed plywood seat back, no upolstery, like the old auditoriums had? That should move you several inches further away from the steering wheel.
Ouch!! that sounds less than comfy and down right painful in rough terrain

cbvet

For a long trip, I removed the seat back & replaced it with heavy cardboard. Actually worked quite well. Gave me another 2-3 inches of room.
I'll make something more permanent when I get time.
I'm thinking of 3/8 plywood, scored from the back side, then fitted to a wood form.

gomerkfx700

As far as makin a back like that. My dad is a carpenter and could probably laminate me up a seat back I'm a mold with a nice curve to it and put some padding on it. That would be ok right there. Does any one know were the closest place to va is that sells bobbed douces I really like 100dollar mans trucks but that's a little to far for me to go and pick one up

For a long trip, I removed the seat back & replaced it with heavy cardboard. Actually worked quite well. Gave me another 2-3 inches of room.
I'll make something more permanent when I get time.
I'm thinking of 3/8 plywood, scored from the back side, then fitted to a wood form.
Hmmm, what about an original seat back plywood piece w/o padding, for it is already curved and has the right mountings? Maybe it can be mounted set back a little further for additional space and re- upholstered with a thin foam sheet and original canvas for both comfort and original looks.
If I had a second seat back I'd try that (I'm around 6'2"), cause I don't want to destroy the perfectly good seat back I have on the seat now.

Cheers,
Mark

gomerkfx700

Mark I would say that that would work I'm not real familiar with how thick the padding is on the seats but you can get that bed padding that goes ontop of your mattress at home that is made out of memory foam I've used it on atv and bike seats its around 1.5-2" thick but will compress when a lot when apolsty is applied and is quite comfy