• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FAV #13 Rebuild

jshull11873

Just some pictures of my FAV during its recommissioning. It has not been restored or completely rebuilt just repaired and enjoyed.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just some pictures of my FAV during its recommissioning. It has not been restored or completely rebuilt just repaired and enjoyed.
That chassis number looks right on for #13, my #10 has a chassis number of 1585, they gave chassis numbers as they were built and they were building other vehicles allong side the FAVs so the numbers will not increment 1 to 1

jshull11873

A few more picsB44981BF-7753-472D-8073-CAEA61D83DA5.jpeg7056CC6D-65DC-4094-9D84-068837C1D506.jpeg304E965F-C912-48FA-81E8-77048F857496.jpeg386A6A54-B736-4BCA-9719-A89ADB045193.jpeg907972FA-5211-46FF-B58A-8A2C33A506EE.jpegE32E27DF-EAF5-4E6B-9054-BDB684530892.jpeg4C7B46A6-5AE4-41A1-8F02-306758866586.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you make your fenders out of?, did you have a pattern or just "free hand" it? my front fenders were missing so I need some detailed photos of the mounting brackets.
About the brakes, they certainly did not come with the disc brakes, all 120 would have been built the same for parts logistics, what the DOE did with them is anyone's guess, certainly good for drivability for sure!
If the other FAV you talked about was one of the 16 then more than 16 are accounted for if you add the 12 from A51, but the Army had pretty much abandoned the FAV buy the late 80s so some more may have been sent to Nevada and even though I have not seen anything about their use at A51 certainly does not mean they did not also have a few.
Of course the DPV was a completely different animal, different chassis, different engine etc.

jshull11873

What did you make your fenders out of?, did you have a pattern or just "free hand" it? my front fenders were missing so I need some detailed photos of the mounting brackets.
About the brakes, they certainly did not come with the disc brakes, all 120 would have been built the same for parts logistics, what the DOE did with them is anyone's guess, certainly good for drivability for sure!
If the other FAV you talked about was one of the 16 then more than 16 are accounted for if you add the 12 from A51, but the Army had pretty much abandoned the FAV buy the late 80s so some more may have been sent to Nevada and even though I have not seen anything about their use at A51 certainly does not mean they did not also have a few.
Of course the DPV was a completely different animal, different chassis, different engine etc.
I had remnants of fenders so I used them as a pattern for the new ones. They are made from heavy reinforced rubber. Fairly expensive material in the required width.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had remnants of fenders so I used them as a pattern for the new ones. They are made from heavy reinforced rubber. Fairly expensive material in the required width.
The rubber material could be the same material that we print samples for.

Eco-Grip (Slip Resistant Safety Flooring). Eco-GripFloor.com
Comes in multiple colors and is roughly a quarter inch thick.
Made in the USA
Stuff isn't cheap, but it is as tough as a mudflap!

signalcorps

I have info to prove they were there. I built the first FAV website about 10 years ago when I built my first FAV. I am the one who dug up all the material and documents and put them on my website for anyone to download. I'll dig thru my research and send you the article to you. It is interesting reading.

Crapgame

The rubber material could be the same material that we print samples for.

Eco-Grip (Slip Resistant Safety Flooring). Eco-GripFloor.com
Comes in multiple colors and is roughly a quarter inch thick.
Made in the USA
Stuff isn't cheap, but it is as tough as a mudflap!
What's the thickness of the rubber used to make the mud fenders? This company has conveyer belt that might can be recycled into FAV fenders in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and thicker:
Used Rubber Conveyor | repurposedMATERIALS (repurposedmaterialsinc.com)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks