• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FDC bypassed is fule too high

jasonjc

OK here's my ?? My new and old M109A3 both have the FDC bypassed. I drove the new to town today. And it hauls butt. Whent up a steep grade at 55 and had pedal left.
Is the fuel set to high?? It does not look like the pump was truned down. Do you need to trun it down?? I don't want to brun it up. I know that bypassing the FDC is like truning up the fuel , but how much? I would like to bypass my M35A2 also , It's like a old dog compered to the 109.

rdixiemiller

When I bypassed mine, it ran scorchingly hot, it would hit 1400 on the pre-turbo pyro in seconds flat. I ended up turning it down 18 or 20 flats to get it to 1150 on a grade.
It ran like a raped ape! But I was afraid I would fry things.

67Beast

When I did the FDC bypass on mine, someone compaired it to turning up the pump one turn. Mine appeared to not have been turned up before I did the bypass, and it runs great and has no high temp problems afterwards. Mine did run well as compaired to others when it was stock, and now runs awesome with the bypass.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason, do a search for "pyro", you'll get over a hundred hits. It's kind of like the proverbial "can't see the trees for the forest" or "you gotto know what you are looking for to find it" kind of thing.
If you have any questions beyond that, we are here for you.

rdixiemiller

I used a Fluke 87V multimeter and a K thermocouple probe. Since then, I have run across an old Westach aircraft pyrometer that reads from 100-1900 F. I think I paid $20 for the Westach unit, and $15 or so for the thermocouple probe.
Search E-Bay for "Aircraft EGT Gauge" and you will find a bunch of them.

FreightTrain

Banned
Guess I will chime in.I bypassed my FDC and didn't adjust my fuel.I can run the temps up to dangerous levels but it takes a little while to get up there.Driving down the road I am usually between 750-850 on the pyro.when I hit any grade it starts to slowly climb.I usually back off when it gets to 1150.Just getcha a pyro and drive by it.Also a great tool for shut downs.You can see when the temps are safe to shut down.I play with the hand throttle and get my shutdown temps time down from the guestimate 5 minutes that the military suggest to around 2-3 minutes depending on how hard I was pushing it before I stopped.