• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FDC Engaged - Can you still burn WMO?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wanted to clear a few things up from your statement Eagle.

Also the military actually bypassed the FDC as a MWO. This was due to the fact that these engines were designed back during the Vietnam war. The reason for the multifuel was to power a truck with an engine that could make use of any fuel available due to supply issues. The FDC "later in life" began to fail with it's seals. This lead to fuel contaminating the engine crankcase. (Thinning the engine oil leading to damage) Since supply issues had been overcome since the wars in which the multifuel was designed, the military opted to simply bypass the FDC and run strictly JP8 or Diesel.
Just started researching FDC info since a M109A3 purchase has a big yellow "Diesel only" sticker on the fuel filter housing.

Sounds like I should leave it "as-is" based on this information. Curious why my much newer 1987 M35A2C didn't come with the FDC bypassed/yellow sticker based on this information?

woodcutter

Follow up from my post #20. Loaded my deuce dump for a firewood delivery and she prompty died when reaching just shy of red line rpm's. Complete loss of power, sputtered and stalled. Bled the fuel system, she limp down the road aboat two miles. Repeated the process twice more before getting her home and unloaded.

Went through the fuel sytem from front to back. Pumped all wmo and diesle mix out of tank, dropped tank and cleaned (few rust particles nothing more), checked fuse (fine), blew out remaining wmo from fuel lines, replaced filters again, lastly replaced pick-up hose and checked all electrical connections on fuel pump ...just to be sure.

Bled fuel sytem and truck fired up. Reloaded firewood and made a 30 mile round trip delivery. The truck regained lost power and performed as before the introduction of wmo. The only noticeable remaining problem is the engine did begin "hunting for idle" when parked. After two more similar deliveries the "hunting for idle" is barely noticable. I suspected some remaining air is in the sytem.

My truck with FDC engaged did not like wmo at all. There may have been a very small amount of water in the alternative fuel but I doubt it. The oil came from a friends garage and he had clear instructions not to give any wmo were it could have been contaminated from a blown head gasket etc.. I filtered the oil down to one micron and it sat for months.

The truck does have the yellow stickers on fuel cans "saying diesle fuel only."
My plan...was to ignore these stickers based on my sesrches here on site as many burn wmo with the FDC engaged with no problems. For me and mine ...that turned out to be a very bad idea!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks