• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Federal Register

gmayor

I got an email from GL today about changes the government is looking at. They are looking at 8 requirements you have to meet to purchase government surplus. I googled the federal register and found the 8 items. The first one is certification to prove you are using the property for personal use. I wonder what that entails? Did anyone else get it and figured out how it will impact MV buying. Further on it talked about insuring the property isn't getting into hands that would harm the US etc.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big scare that pops up every year is the provision that they can change the law retroactively to say they can have it back any time they want, tough for you & no renumeration.

I'd burn mine to the ground on the capitol steps first.....

dg

westfolk

Got the same email. I have a copy and am still going over it. I am unsure just how the everyday guy is going to "prove" some of the stuff in it. I think it is another little step towards pushing out the individual.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the email I received:

In the Federal Register of October 25th, 2006, the Government has proposed
changes to the qualifications required to obtain approval of an EUC to purchase
certain Munitions List or Commerce Control Act property. This effectively
refers to the Demil B or Q property that you purchase from us.

The document is attached to the email as a PDF. I am in the process of studying it as well. Curious as to how the 8 criteria will be reviewed and applied. The 8 criteria are somewhat nebulous at best.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This Seems to be a cover your but in case a De-milled item is used by a terrorist or for criminal activity. I see no problem for most of us Red Blooded Red State folks who only love to drive and work on these great vehicles and equipment.

Jones

This has to have a limitations point. Does it apply to vehicles only or are axles, engines, or the catch-all "miscellaneous cab and chassis components" included too.
What about stuff that has been out of DRMO/GL's hands for years and through several owners? Between what's been converted, parted out, wrecked, turned into farm or off-road application only with the tags lapsing and falling out of the DMV computers after a certain period of time, etc. I'd say they're taking on a herculean task.
Suddenly, buying one from a farmer or out-of-business company and resurrecting the paperwork doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The general idea of the whole revision is to" Reduce the likelihood that recipients present a risk to misuse the material and ensure they have the capability to properly handle such items" (Purpose Paragraph)
1. Must be a valid user or enterprise
2. Adequate export controls to eliminate improper transfers
3. Applicant must comply with export laws
4. No history of fraud or deception that would question your trustworthyness ( No liberal democrats)
5. Not a terrorist
6. Not an insolvent person or company( no tax and spend folks)
7. Must show compliance with contract terms
8. Must be US citizen

In otherwords for most of us Steel Soldiers residing in Red States or counties we meet these by living in our home paying our bills and registering our vehicles with the State. I don't think any of the great folks I have met on this site would fail any of these perogatives.

devilman96

I think this change is in reaction to the investigation over the past few years which turned up items being sold which should not have been. Missile parts, gun parts and other things which were ether sold in "non EUC" auctions... were sold as "EUC items" but to parties that should not have been litigable to receive them... Or put up for auction that should have never been exposed to the private sector.

It makes perfect sense to me... With the way the bureaucratic BS seems to fall short of about everything. Rather than implementing some simple classification checks on items, or putting the right program in place for classifying items for demill they in turn put more stringent requirements on buyers. As if saying... "yes, we know were to stupid to do things right so we will make sure that ANYONE whom buys an axle or nuclear war head will qualify for purchasing ether... Or get nothing at all"

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought is scrap contracts. Lots of the scrap guys are finding markets for the scrap other than scrap and some goodies might have got out that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks