• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Federal Signal PA20A

Red_506

I recently got an M1009 CUCV with this PA installed and the hand mic is shot. If anyone has any ideas where I might be able to get a replacement mic or some internal pictures or drawings that would be great. I will post pictures of the connector later as I'm on my phone and photo bucket saved them too big for the site. The connector end is a 4 post male with a screw on retainer cap and single keyway guide.

Thanks.

Red_506

Thanks for the tip. It is a PA20A though; it's from the 60's/70's. If galls can help that will be great, but it comes down to it being outdated gear which is why I'm having difficulty finding it.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently got an M1009 CUCV with this PA installed and the hand mic is shot. If anyone has any ideas where I might be able to get a replacement mic or some internal pictures or drawings that would be great. I will post pictures of the connector later as I'm on my phone and photo bucket saved them too big for the site. The connector end is a 4 post male with a screw on retainer cap and single keyway guide.

Thanks.

I might have one. I'll check and send a PM

rlwm211

The 4 pin connector is a standard type for CB and Amateur communications. SOmetimes the wiring will be different ifor different radios. I have a collection of military microphones for comm use which have carbon elements. They are not terminated in such a way that they could be used but potentially could be rewired onto the 4 pn plug on the mike you already have.

The PA20 will work with both carbon and non carbon elements.

I did find the manual for the unit incuding repair instructions online and it should be very helpful for you. The unit was produced in the 60's and has been superceded a couple of times since. Even so, as it was pointed out you should be able to replace the mike.

RL

Last edited:

Red_506

Thanks for the input guys, I wasn't able to get on my computer last night; so I'm just going to post the URL for the pictures.

AN/ARC186

The 4 pin connector on the PA20 is larger than the 4 pin normally used on a CB.

Is the mic really banged up or just not working?
Make sure SW1 (inside the unit) is set for the correct type of mic you are using.

Red_506

The mic housing is cracked and the wiring inside is brittle and detached in several places. In order to fix it I need to see pictures of the inside of the mic.

Red_506

Ok, I contacted Federal Signal today and the person I spoke to either did not understand when I said PA20A or is a complete moron as the mic he told me to order has the same connector end as a guitar chord. Upon further research it looks like a PA200 mic has the same connector as the PA20A, so now my search has broadened to include the 200. I have also contacted my local FS authorized dealer and given him as much info as I can, so hopefully he can find something on his end.