• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feedback on 4" lift kits

nudewheeler

Howdy Folks -

Fixing to lift the M1009 here soon. I've been scoping out the lift kits, talked to a few folks in town and gathered a few opinions. Just looking for a simple 4" lift kit. I don't want to modify the drivetrain too much (at this point at least), dealing with longer driveshafts, transfer case shims etc etc. I do have a steadfast requirement that this lift kit contain new springs at all four corners. No shackle flips, no blocks. Trying to eliminate axle wrap, more so, not introduce axle wrap.

Basic requirements: easy enough to install, reasonable ride, the truck can still articulate and springs don't fail or sag after an unreasonably short time. This 6.2 ads a bit of front end weight that will accelerate the wear on the softer, more comfortable and plush springs. I have nixed the idea of Tuff country and Rough country systems due to soft/sag prone springs, difficult to warranty and overall not that great reviews.

I believe my search has narrowed to a ProComp lift for just under $1000, or a SkyJacker kit for $1500. They both contain the full shabang: all new springs, steering arm, shocks, Ubolts etc etc.

Skyjacker is a more plush ride yielding more articulation. A guy with a K5 lifted 10" as a rock crawler suggested this kit even with the 6.2 for more 'usability' with articulation. They said this kit may require an ad-a-leaf to level the front end after some use.

The ProComp has notably stiff springs at the sacrifice of ride quality. This kit will unlikely ever need to be leveled, but it will be a bit more harsh than any other 4" lift kit. However, suggested for the additional weight of the 6.2

Anyways, that's a synopsis of my research into lift kits. Who has what, how does the kit perform, any major defects, any upkeep required with leveling?

Any additional drivetrain modifications required to adequately 'use' these kits at the articulation limits? Extended drive shafts, front driveshaft spacers, transfer case shimming etc?

Thanks in advance.

AJMBLAZER

Both suck. Tuff Country's the most popular out there right now. Good ride, good articulation, good product.

You'll need steering correction. Now would be a good time to do crossover steering.
Get an ORD steering box brace.

You'll need everything you mentioned to properly use the kit. If you get a good driveshaft you shouldn't have to shim the transfer case. That's pretty cheese whiz as it is. Shouldn't be a front spacer either...nowhere to space on these trucks.

New brakelines would be a good addition. Either fancy stainless braided or just longer rubber lines.

thirdstreettito

nudewheeler

Third - Thanks for the suggestion of BDS. Are you running this kit currently? Are you able to comment on the ride harshness and articulation ability/limits?

AJM - I appreciate your feedback. Are you able to substantiate your claim against Skyjacker and ProComp lift kits?

thirdstreettito

I plan on buying one, a real good friend of mine is a dealer for BDS, RC, SJ, etc. He suggest's BDS because of how nice it rides and you can replace anything that breaks for the cost of shipping. I don't know how it articulates, around here there is mud, that's it, so I have no idea. Sorry

AJMBLAZER

K5 Blazer - Full-Size Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4 Off Road and Restoration Forum
A site devoted to 73-87(91) GM fullsize trucks and wheeling them. Poke around the forum a bit and you'll find very few positive remarks about those lifts.

Tuff Country is well regarded due to their quality and ride/articulation. In fact Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance , probably the leader in aftermarket suspension/modification parts for these trucks, sells Tuff Country lift springs rather than high dollar custom made springs.

BDS is also well regarded but not as commonly used due to their higher cost and smaller number of dealers. A lot of people just don't live near a BDS dealer.

motormayhem

Hey,
It's Miles from over on TOR. You got a CUCV? Nice! Im back in town if you want to look at my lift. I think it is a rancho lift, but it was already on when I got my truck. Shoot me a PM here or on TOR if you want to meetup.

--Miles

nudewheeler

Well I called up Chris from OffRoadDesign and had a very educational chat with him. He was suggesting still to place a 4" tuff lift with EZride springs under it. He reckoned they wouldn't sag even with the 6.2. Guess he as an M1008 that he's done quite a lot to (including cummins swap, yeah I'm envious) and has placed tuff springs under every rig that he's owned.

If the boys at off road design use and endorse Tuff, I'll trust their testament and go with their suggestion. Their extensive use of any product and suggestions says a lot.

When lift time comes, I'll be ordering a 4" from Tuff Country either an al new spring lift, or using the ORD 4" shackle flip in the rear.

Anyone have experience with a shackle flip vs new rear springs? Curious if the ride with new springs is going to be more harsh. Additionally curious if the shackle flip introduced any negative unforeseen consequences (more prone to dragging shackle, axle wrap etc).

AJMBLAZER

Chris is a member over on CK5 so he can be contacted on there as well. Has a **** of a truggy.

4" rear lift springs are going to ride harsher and have less articulation than a stock set of springs and a shackle flip. Also cost more. Less axle wrap and you're starting over with new springs though.

Shackle flip retains the stock ride and articulation of the stock springs. However if your stock springs are worn out, saggy, bent, etc then you're dealing with that still. Also moves your rear axle forward about an inch due to the nature of how the spring is now sitting. Their zero rate can fix this by spacing the axle reward an inch or so.

Some folks claim that towing is compromised with the flip but I dunno. Heard both ways by people that have flipped so it's hard to say.

FYI the Tuff Country HD packs are just the EZRides with an extra leaf in them. Remove the leaf and you've got EZRides. Just a thought if someone wants to play it safe.

Don't forget to look into ORD's other suspension products. Greasable shackle bushings, stronger spring mounts, U bolt kits, etc etc etc. I'm just rebuilding my stock suspension and will probably just go all out and order everything from them. Might as well upgrade while I'm doing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks