• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

feel free to kick me out if you wish ...

brockoli

:cookoo: Call me crazy or boot me out of the club but I have a hair brained idea. Hear me out.
I have access to an insurable, registerable International Transtar 4300 (F-4370) semi tractor. It has a reduction box, a split shifter on the stick and I think it's a Cummins 400 ( it's huge, turboed and painted red, oooooo:drool:).Hahahaha. The cab is fiberglass as is the hood and it's in rough shape. It's a '81 model year, last of that style I believe. Here isthe IDEA. It's just an IDEA......
Take the cab off, throw it away with the hood. Figure out waht options I have for a front drive axle and transfer case. re body the chassis with something military-esque in crew cab form. That or just hod the thing and make a road warrior out of it. Too many options and never enough money or time. HAHAHA. Please don't call me crazy.
Thanks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure out waht options I have for a front drive axle and transfer case.
Finding a front axle that has the same gear ratio as the back could be hard to find depending on what they are. Finding a t-case that would hold up to a 400 Cummins could be tough too without spending some big bucks.

You're not crazy. If you can figure out how to make it all work, I say go for it.

brockoli

i thought about the gear ratio situation and it would be easier and cheaper to put some 5tons in the rear to match up the front. I understand there is an airbrake upgrade for them or something along these lines so air could be retained. The transfer case is the big ????? monster trucks run a very simple system but of course, it's engage all the time. It would hold up to the big cummins but I don't think anything else would, just from the torque alone, not even carying anything. Hmmmmmm. Well, ideas keep flying around. If I think of anything else I'll put it up for critiquing. Thanks

waayfast

I have seen some large trucks like your 4300 (I got a 4200 Dump truck:-D) that are all wheel drive so look around for heavy equipment/big truck wrecking yards, the goodies are out there-you just gotta locate them.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say go for it! nothing better creating something your very own and you would have the only one out there like it! A wise man once said, "Any man can restore a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up." :D

charlietango

trust me man.. there are way crazier cats on this site.

agree though your ratio's will be tough.
Workstar Internationals I believe are optioned with a front drive axle. The military NAVIstar defense line obviously has. Thats what the Canadian military is using now. Big $$ for those parts (I imagine) right now though.

Victor

brockoli, what is the use of this truck will be? Pull, hole, drive crazy roads ... ?
Some pics will be good.

nopics
Some specs will be not bad ether.
What is bad in this truck? Engine, axle(s), trany ...
How is the chassis looks? rust, bend ...
What is upfitted with?

In nutshell:
reman transfer case for 300Hp engine can cost you up to $4,500
front axle up to $3,000
cut driveshaft up to $500 each.

When I wrote "UP TO" it means could be less. Plus your work and a lots of fun.
Keep as posted.

P.S. pictures???!!!

ADDED: GO! GO! GO! for it.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It won't be hard to find a t-case. It will just be hard to find one that doesn't cost more than you paid for the truck. While there are 6X6 trucks in that size range they are kind of rare in the civilain market.

I've been trying for some time to find a used auxiliary box for a KW with a 550hp Cummins in it for a few years now. You can find a bunch of boxes but not many that will hold up to that kind of HP on the used market for a resonable price.

surewriting

Oh man please, oh please hot rod that sucker! :drool: I wanna see pics, sketches, hare-brained ideas for what you want to do with it! I wish you luck!

Trango

I'm building basically that exact truck. I bought a mid 90's COE C8000 Ford with a cummins 8.3, and then military trucks parts, such as air-converted 5 ton axles and sheetmetal. Should be building it here in the early summer.

Engine is still in the frame, which is a big BIG bonus. My previous engine swap taught me that alot of the work in modifying these trucks is in:
Engine care/feeding (service air, intake air exhaust, cooling, intercooling, mounts, and electric all end up being art projects)
Power steering
Brake lines (in this case, Air)
Transmission mating, clutch and TO bearing.

My project will start with most of that already done.

Title and registration should be all collectors, based on the old sheetmetal.

BTW, the tcase is the one big "WTF" question I have. I am worried that a 900 series may not hold up to 1200 ft lbs of torque with good reduction, so I'm trying to figure out what to do on that front.

I'm a little freaked out, honestly, at the scope of the project. It will be pretty expansive, with alot of hookup between the Mil cab and the commercial frame, but will ultimately yield a result that's better at what I want to do (more OTR driving with AWD capability) than my current 3208T / 5 speed deuce.

Best,
Bob

Last edited:

brockoli

Thanks for all the great encouragement. I have done some research on the VIN and what is actually in it for a lump. It came with a CAT 4306 (I think that number is right, its written down in my truck) and the engine that in in there now is a Cummins 350 big cam. Not sure exactly but of that variety anyways. Roughly 1100 lb/ft torque. it has Eaton 2 speed rear axles with lockers and a deep reduction box. Full air brake, Ross power steering and a 10spd Fuller tranny. It is a 186 WB with a day cab. It is a 4300 Transtar (long nose) 1981 model. Hard to find much info on this truck. Wife keeps asking me why we need a semi truck, haven't got a real answer yet for her. I'm building a long travel 4runner with a 5.0L ford V8 init and I have a new Tundra for my daily driver and I am running my parents business building custom motorcycle sidecars and trikes that has been running for 15 years strong. Currently building a 2000sq ft shop in the yard to move the business into from their place so they can retire and my plate is pretty full with a 1 year old and a 5 year old. So, ya hard to give her a good reason as of yet. I think a hot rod semi would be pretty fun but at the same time I would love to have a military truck. Maybe I should keep that motor and tranny, part the truck out and save up for a 5 ton and drop it in. It would see some OTR use, minimal, and a fair amount of back roads running and a little bit of slimey mud. i could gut the chassis, which is in good shape, and put a military cab on it but the details pointed out in the previous post show all the 'what about's....' that show their ugly face at a fairly large price and reliablitly issues. I'll try and get a few pics in the next few days of the rig. Keep the replies coming, the ammunition and encouragement keep me going.
Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks