• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feeler for M35A2 Hard Tops

PyroJoe

I'm just putting a feeler out to see how much interest there is in M35A2 hard tops. I am starting my own business and will be fabricating steel and aluminum products. I'm focusing on off-road accessories for Jeeps, Toyota's, and full size pickups. I see a demand for hard tops for M35A2's and just want to verify that demand. The tops I've come across sell for $800-$1000. Mine would be brand new, made from galvanized steel, and would consist of 2 pieces plus a rear window. My target price range is $500-$600. Mine would also be built to clamp over the front windshield, to ensure the top doesn't come off on the highway if your fasteners were to fail. They will also have proper support in the center to prevent the pooling of water that you commonly see.

Let me know if you would be interested in purchasing a top. I will do steelsoldiers discounts and will have a cheaper introductory price. If I build these, I will probably ask for 10 people to commit to buying one and ask them to put half the price down (refundable of course in case something goes wrong). Just don't want to build a couple thousand dollars worth of tops and not have them sell.

Thank you!

Joe

EDIT: This has been designed with Inventor, a 3D CAD program. The prototype will be built around and fitted to my cab.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Price point is good, but we will want to see a prototype first. Try to copy the mil version as close as you can.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Most people either love a ragtop or hate it. The ones that love it are not going to buy a hardtop no matter what (unless you make it very easy to remove/install).

My guess is your market will be better up north or in high rainfall areas.

I bought a lot of deuces over the years and most of them were hard tops.

You might query some of the major surplus dealers and see if they would be interested. Some of them do a lot of overeseas business and may have customers that prefer hardtops.

The new ones that are coming out of GL will dry up eventually so you may have a desired product.

I agree that a 5 ton version would increase your customer base.

welldigger

If you can reasonably copy the military hard top I'll buy one at that price. The surplus guys want stupid money for one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a direct copy of the original top would be more desirable than a custom designed top.

Jeepsinker

I agree. I don't even much care for the one piece fiberglass tops because they lack detail. And I don't know why but it just doesn't look right without the seam and gasket between the roof and the back wall section.

PyroJoe

Well I'm really glad to hear all the positive feedback. Asking vendors about selling them is an excellent idea! If I make it a 2 piece design, shipping shouldn't be too bad. To make replica hard tops, I'd have to invest thousands into dies. A die can cost $5-10k. I'm trying to make this work with dies I already have. I'll post some pictures of thr 3D rendering I have once I perfect it.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's nothing wrong with making a improved version. Many of us are not nutty on originality but
find functionality and quality more important for the trucks we actually use for something.

Love to have a top made out of fiberglass, with no rear window, side and windshield eaves built in.

PyroJoe

Will it come painted? Thinking probably not. The steel is galvanized, so it won't be rusting anytime soon, if ever. There are entirely too many variables with paint. Owners of woodlands camo trucks will most likely want to paint their own to match up the paint lines. Tan would be an easy one, though. I also don't want to deal with paint scratch warranties after they've been thrown around by the shipping guys.

shipping costs? That's a loaded question. It's going to depend largely on weight and shipping destination. I'm not going to be able to answer that until I have a prototype.

Where are you located? I'm on the Kansas Nebraska border, by Fairbury.

What gauge is the steel? I'm playing with the thickness right now. The reason the deuces are nice is because they are made from such thick metal that they'll take forever to rust. With this galvanized steel, I don't have to worry about rusting, which will allow me to go much thinner. This will also be determined by experimenting with prototypes. Right now I'm thinking 16ga.

Glass or plastic window? What would you guys prefer? I want to build what you guys want. I'm looking at some windows from Lippert. They are trailer/RV windows. It will definitely be a slider. Not sure if I should get one with a screen or without. Also, I think I'd go with glass.

If you guys have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask! This is going to be my winter project. I'm going to buy a cab off of an M35A2, and will be looking for a 5 ton cab, as well. I will build the tops around these cabs, and make sure everything lines up to ensure your top will fit perfectly when you receive it.

Woodsplinter

I have read that galvanized steel is extremely difficult to paint. Almost all rattle cans state they are not for galvanized metal.
Any paint experts familiar with this issue?

PyroJoe

I have read that galvanized steel is extremely difficult to paint. Almost all rattle cans state they are not for galvanized metal.
Any paint experts familiar with this issue?
That's a great point! It's not hard to paint; you just have to know what to paint it with. I will make sure I supply ample information about what is needed to paint it with. It is important to properly clean it and prime it before color coating it (as is the case with any paint job). I will definitely take this into consideration, however, and coat my prototypes with CARC, just to ensure it will work. I will try one with primer and one without.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks