• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

*Feeler* I'm looking at rebuilding cucv alternators and eventually starters

Chief Smackaho

I'm not sure if this is the best location for me to post this as I looked around for a minute before I did. I'm trying to get an idea on any possible interest for someone rebuilding CUCV alternators I've noticed a few posts where people are having a hard time getting needed CUCV alternators. I'm currently considering focusing on the cucv alternators with regular basic alternator rebuilding. I'm not too sure on the demand for something like that which is why I am posting this feeler to find out. I am disabled and have nothing to really occupy my time currently and have been looking more seriously at this. I've been a long time automotive mechanic throughout the years and with my disability there isn't much I can do like I used to get out and do like I used to. Something everyone can send me the original alternators to their vehicles and I can rebuild them with new internal parts. If anyone is interested, leave a comment here and let me know what you might be interested in. Rebuilding, upgrades if possible and whatever else. Please let me know here and if there is enough interest in it I will start doing it. Please let me know what you are looking for and what you need. I can rebuild them and I will need your current alternator if it needs rebuilt. You can send it to me and I will do it. Let me know on any interests or desires for the alternators and eventually starters. I don't have the means to completely clean the cases with a automatic system to make them look brand new as most places do because I am alone individual in my home doing these at a table but I will test and replace Parts as needed and requested as well as any possible upgrades I can find and requested. If I missed anything, please ask and suggest if you desire. I am currently located downtown Indianapolis Indiana so you can ship it to me or drop it off if required. I can test all the internals and replace what's wrong or replace bearings and all needed functional internal parts if so desired. Please let me know.

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome to the forum! :beer:

I think the best place would be in the CUCV forum. Nobody is going to mind you posting this there, and you'll get a lot more views and likely some good discussion.

But I can give you some feedback from my point of view. I think the demand will be low, because

1. It's brain-dead easy to do it yourself. There's plenty of info in the Helpful Threads sticky for anyone that wants to try it.
  2. The parts are readily available from many online sources (ASP Wholesale is a great source for both starter and alternator), and the alternator parts from at least one member here, tim292stro.
  3. Any competent shop can do it, you just have to point out the isolated ground for the alternators.

It's not like it's an obscure specialty item. It's just a 24v starter and a Delco 27si alternator with a few extra isolation pieces. No
big deal.

If you think this will be a viable business on its own, please rethink that.

But, if you are already in the business doing alternators and starters, advertising here would be a no-brainer, I think. Many will not want to do the work themselves, and will be glad to know about a pro that understands the CUCV. Just understand that there are some rules on advertising, and you'll need to check those out.

There's my 2cents [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Chief,

I sell the alternator rebuild kits. I also have a how-to thread with pictures to show the steps to rebuild the alternator. Along with offering miscellaneous alternator related items; several members requested parts to convert a non-isolated ground 27SI alternator to isolated ground so I have put a conversion kit together for people that request them. You can check my signature for a link to the rebuild thread and rebuild kit classified ad.

I'm sure you know these alternators are very easy to rebuild for the average do-it-yourselfer. I considered offering rebuild services, but didn't really think it was necessary or economically feasible for the customer since they would be paying to ship the alternator both ways. Since I have an alternator and starter test bench, I also thought about offering testing services. Every AutoZone has one also. You probably get my drift. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't want you to waste time and money either.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Chief Smackaho

I understand and appreciate everyone's input so far. But I do realize that not all of the remanufacturing companies repair them 100%. Most of them just do them enough to get them out the door to resell even still holding onto problems. I also realize that not everyone can or is willing to rebuild them themselves. As I said before, I am disabled and for the most part just looking for something to do and supplement my income somehow. That's it. I am not just looking at focusing on cucv alternators and starters alone. I am also looking at average everyday civilian alternators as well. That I am not a business. I am a disabled individual who is just bored and trying to find things to stay occupied and supplement my sorry excuse for an income anymore..

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not post the same thing in more than one forum.

It's call cross-posting and is against the rules.

sandcobra164

I had my M1028 CUCV starter rebuilt by a local shop about 4 years ago after the mounting bolts backed out and it broke it's nose cone. He charged 80 dollars to replace the nose cone and brushes. I'm not sure what he had tied up in parts as I'm not in the business but I thought he did it for cheap. I had him go through a perfectly fine starter years ago just to replace the brushes since I was rebuilding the engine in my 93 Mitsubishi Eclipse and the starter was mounted in a horrible once the assembly was in the car location and he hit me for 20 dollars. I may be an outlier thinking it's not a very profitable business once shipping costs are involved. The man that owned the shop and did the work though had a very loyal following, lived a good life and put his son through BMW Technician School with no college debt. I would tell you his name to search but I don't think he ever had a computer so I'm quite certain he's never posted on the internet. He closed shop a few years ago and the world will be lost without people willing to work on such stuff. I had an additional PT Pump gone through by a local shop recently when my primary one failed on my 5 ton. Figured I'd get it done while people still worked on those as well. Went to a few shops before I found one who would work on it.

Last edited:

dependable

If you decide to get into alternator and starter rebuilding, there are often professional test benches for sale on ebay, or auto parts stores and shops going out of business. That would give you better product assurance than static testing.

If there is a type of unit you would focus on, like CUCV alts, getting a few cores and having some ready built for exchange would take some pressure off you, speed turn around time, and people would probably be happy to pay a little more for the quick service.

While a lot of us do rebuild our own components, there are also many who would just like to get their trucks working ASAP. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Chief Smackaho

If you decide to get into alternator and starter rebuilding, there are often professional test benches for sale on ebay, or auto parts stores and shops going out of business. That would give you better product assurance than static testing.

If there is a type of unit you would focus on, like CUCV alts, getting a few cores and having some ready built for exchange would take some pressure off you, speed turn around time, and people would probably be happy to pay a little more for the quick service.

While a lot of us do rebuild our own components, there are also many who would just like to get their trucks working ASAP. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
thank you, I can't afford what they have. They range between 3 and 5000 or more I'm going to have to make and build my own alternator tester.