• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Felling trees with a M35A2

FL_Frank

Hi all,
Had a 60'+ tree right beside my house that, since I live in Florida, became the tallest object and thus a frequent lightning rod. A very dead, unstable lightning rod specifically eying my house.

It had to come down, but paying someone $2000+ to do it professionally wasn't going to happen, so time to break out the toys.

Ended up using (2) 6" 15.5 ton McKissick snatch blocks and (1) 8" snatch block (8 ton, I think) with 3/4 wire rope, chains, HF tow straps and a few slings to do the deed.

First pull was a 4:1 using 2 of the snatch blocks for the leverage and 1 to redirect the pull. This only bent the tree over a bit as I ran out of pulley/cable line.

Second pull was 2:1 and did the trick. It caught on a few other trees on the way down and spent the next 30 mins going 'pop/crack/bang' as the other tree's branches gave into the load on them. Tree has a 6' root ball I get to clean up this week sometime - should be fun.

I did initially try this pull with a F150 - which really didn't do anything but lift the snatch blocks off the ground. Tree didn't even budge.

Glad it went uneventful - and the wife kindly filmed it behind a very large oak tree for safety. Videos are below:

First 4:1 pull
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkT-Nr7bqU8[/media]

Final 2:1 pull
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqr9pMdupTo[/media]

-Frank

Attachments

stevegr

Good work. I'd say that job was a "cut" above the rest. If that is oak, I could sure use the firewood. I work in Apopka. I could stop by with my Deuce to pick some of the wood up if you are willing to part with some of it.

treeguy

Nice root ball! I've thought about trying out this tactic but the situation hasn't come around yet. I have to do it a little different, could you imagine the look on an 80 year old customer's face when you tell her the tree is down but some one otta do something about that new hole in her yard! rofl

FL_Frank

Thanks Greg - appreciate the offer to come get the wood. If I didn't have a fireplace, I'd have taken you up on it, but my fireplace loves oak =)

Treeguy - I wasn't expecting a crater in the yard, but the tractor has a front end loader on it, so it'll be easy enough to fix. Getting the massive trunk out of there should be trivial for the deuce, once I get all the dirt off of it of course.

-Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks