• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fellow A3 owner

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers. I also have a 1998 M35A3 WW. I changed out my motor oil in the transmission when I first received it with Dexron 3. Fortunately, I have never had any issues with my transmission in the 12 years I've owned the truck, although I have put a lot of miles on it heavily loaded. If it was me, I would rebuild the transmission. I really like the lock-up torque converter in mine. Good luck with yours!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all, been a member for awhile now, but never posted till today. I was informed I better introduce myself and post a couple of pics. I live in Ak. and love my truck, but currently in the process of changing out my trans. Appreciate all the good info and the helpful participants. Cheers!
View attachment 868021View attachment 868022
Welcome to the Outfit!

Nice looking truck and it appears that you have a nice patch of dirt to play in up there in Alaska. Hope the transmission swap goes smoothly for you. Give us a blow-by blow as you pull the old out and replace it... Yep, pictures are a big plus!!

Budrow

Welcome to the Outfit!

Nice looking truck and it appears that you have a nice patch of dirt to play in up there in Alaska. Hope the transmission swap goes smoothly for you. Give us a blow-by blow as you pull the old out and replace it... Yep, pictures are a big plus!!
Thanks, we have the beach and some logging roads to cruise on. Get most of my firewood from drift wood on the beach. Truck works great for that. I’ll definitely let you know how the swap worked and post some pics when I re install the trans Cheers!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ya, went pretty smooth. Kinda have to work it around the cross member a little, but all good! Easier than a Chevy truck. I’ll take some pics when I get the rebuilt installed hopefully in a couple weeks
I really liked the pull string (wire) that you have rigged on the plywood - so you could remove the board and the transmission in one easy pull. Not sure how easy it was, but it sure seemed like a good idea...

Budrow

I really liked the pull string (wire) that you have rigged on the plywood - so you could remove the board and the transmission in one easy pull. Not sure how easy it was, but it sure seemed like a good idea...
Worked great, couple of tugs and it slid right out under the fuel tank. Might need a friend to help slide it back in, but plan on going back in the same way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks