• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fender removal

lavarok

Speaking of fenders, what do you guys use for a gasket between the cab and the fender on the one spot where they use one? When I replaced mine, I undercoated both sides and let that cure. Then I just bolted it up. Good move or bad? I presume the the material is vinyl or canvas originally and is there to allow some flex movement. What say ye?

edit: I am not referring to the front rubber piece.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spray the nuts going into the cab with some kind of penetrating oil before you try taking them off. Those captured nuts in there are real hard to get at when you have to replace a broken bolt or spinning nut.

Here is a thread I did way back when about them:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/16052-i-hate-captured-nuts.html
definately take your time taking them off,if need be, tighten a little first sometimes helps break rust loose before you even start to loosen. then loosen a little and dont turn too much so you dont rip apart the captured nut. spray with lube, back and forth a little more, spray, repeat. if the bolt turns a little bit in the nut, chances are patience will let you get it out. maybe even drill a small hole in the back to stick the straw in for PB Blaster and give them a soak.

Katahdin

Yeah, I broke one of my captured nuts. I ended up just drilling a hole all the way through the channel and installing a longer bolt in that spot. This was before I knew how to replace them with a welder.

The spring-charged bolts and wire retainers were a pain (rust), I ended up replacing those with new hardware and zip ties.

For the fender/cab gasket I used a strip of stick-on door gasket material from lowes or home depot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a heater, it just got a whole lot worse. If not, not a bad deal. Don't forget the headlight wires too. No better way to deal with IP problems. I pull the fenders when I do an engine swap too. So much easier.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to big of a job to pull the left finder. I just did the left and right side on the truck I am redoing. The truck had a heater, but when I put the truck back together the heater is not going in. Not much need for it here in AZ.

Just keep track of all your bolts and were they go. Also watch out for the front lights wires.
Good luck!!