• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fender springs

JCKnife

Where the front of the fenders attach to the frame bracket, those 3 bolts have springs. Mine were badly rusted. I found springs on Macmaser-Carr that were the same size, but they are much weaker. My turn signal shakes and vibrates badly with them installed.

A tool and die shop near me can get heavier springs to match the old rusted ones, but their minimum order is 20 of them.

Anyone have a good source for these springs? If not anyone (or two) want to go in on a set of 20 to split 3 ways with me?

(need 6 per deuce of course)

For future reference / people who would like to order this spring, here is a direct link. Glad to see my neighbor didn't mark them up any (wouldn't have blamed him if he did)

Lee Spring

Lee Spring Co part # LC 098H 02 M

Last edited:

JCKnife

Looks like it's about $75 for 20 springs so $25 a person would net three of us enough for our trucks.

If you have a better source let me know!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll go in for enough to do one truck. I have to pull one of ours apart this winter.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What McMaster part number are you using? I have some on my truck, Maccus also had some on one of his. I have no problems with them, don't think he did either.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part number I have is 9584K15. They have .081 dia wire and are $2.52 ea. Been on my truck 4.5 years.

runk

Darn it ! Why didn't this come up last week?
I just got my springs from McMaster, my old springs were so rusty I couldn't tell what the wire diameter was, and I appear to have guessed wrong. Any suggested uses for the weaker springs ? (9435K136 - 302 Ss Precision Compression Spring, .750" Length, .6" Od, .072" Wire, $8.07 per pack of 5)

JCKnife

Yep, that's the exact one I bought. And I just don't see .009 making that much of a difference to use the .081 ones. I'll check the spec on the ones I'm proposing in the morning. It's at the office.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing your old springs are really sagging. They should br 1" not 3/4" in length. (from ORD 9)

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes I used the spring part number hndrsonj listed above and they work well. No problem. Did you replace the rubber between the fender and the support also? New live rubber makes a big difference. I most always replace them anyway on all my deuces whether they need it or not.. As a matter of fact on the M35A3 I have someone did some fender work and just bolted the fender directly to the support. Talk about vibration. New rubber and springs took care of it.

JB

What is the purpose of the springs? I have removed many fenders but never understood the reason. It appeared that simple bolts and washers would be fine in those places. It has been a few months since i last worked on one so i could be forgetting something about them.

runk

I put new rubber on the side that didn't have any a while ago, and it helped a lot. The other side I just pulled apart and it has what looks like 3 layers of heavy canvas, sort of like fire hose material. Going to use rubber there as well.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put new rubber on the side that didn't have any a while ago, and it helped a lot. The other side I just pulled apart and it has what looks like 3 layers of heavy canvas, sort of like fire hose material. Going to use rubber there as well.
They were made from the same material as the fuel can tie downs.2cents

JCKnife

OK my tool-and-die neighbor measured the stock spring as .615 diameter, .098 wire and .810 length.

The one he's offering is .600 dia, .098 wire and .875 long. So a little longer but .065 inch, not too much.

runk

I use rocket insulation...
Really, it came out of the scrap bin where I used to work. It was probably to be used on the mounts at the top of the insulation boots the company builds to go around rocket engine nozzles to keep the hot gases from blowing back into the casings. It was probably some sort of exotic silicon rubber and $$$$ per square inch, but once it is out of certification, it is just trash.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
One needs to be concerned about the inside diameter and the length of the spring. However the most important spec is the compression factor. There are different diameter wires used to make compression springs that have varying hardness of each. If you stick with getting the correct inside diameter and length with the correct compression factor you will have it right. Generally speaking stiffer compression is better for this application.