• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ferret pulling a trailer

BlondeGuy

Question: i've got a ferret mk 2/3 and want to pull a 3/4 ton trailer. Before I go through all the trouble of setting up the hitch on the ferret, does anyone foresee any problems I may have.

Thanks
Blondeguy

L999here

.....same idea...

Been thinking about doing the same thing...but with an M105 trailer. I'm just wary about welding a pintle hook onto the steel plate...but see no other way to do it. And drilling thur that steel plate is not my idea of fun....

Stalwart

Flat ground and no load in the trailer, fine. But in any case, NEVER let the engine operate below about 2800 rpm to avoid torque converter (fluid flywheel) heat as it isn't externally cooled. Many a Ferret have had serious problems from not keeping the RPM's up and smoking the torque converter.

B3.3T

I would be concerned with overheating the fluid flywheel under tow. Ferrets are not particularly powerful and the added drag might be a real problem You cook a flywheel, you are not going anywhere for a long time; and its a major bear to change out.

1958 M274

Flat ground and no load in the trailer, fine. But in any case, NEVER let the engine operate below about 2800 rpm to avoid torque converter (fluid flywheel) heat as it isn't externally cooled. Many a Ferret have had serious problems from not keeping the RPM's up and smoking the torque converter.
2,800 RPM minimum? I have been using 2,000 as a minimum. A little higher if it's pulling harder on a hill. I think 2,000 is what the manual says...

As far as towing a trailer with a Ferret, I wouldn't want to for a number of reasons. Especially one the size of a M105! A jeep trailer, maybe... It would slow you down even more, especially on hills. I'd be concerned about the fluid flywheel heat, as well as the engine cooling system. I don't know about y'all, but on a hot summer day, it's all ours can do to stay cool running about 45MPH down the highway. I think adding a trailer would be a little much. Plus backing up would be even more of a challenge than it already is with the limited rear visibility.

My biggest concern would be brakes and stopping without trailer brakes. If someone pulled out if front of you, could you stop?

So, could you pull a trailer with a ferret? Yes, but I don't think it's a good idea. If you do try it, maybe a M416A1 1/4 ton trailer or M101A2 3/4 ton trailer with surge brakes. Surely not a M105, as they weigh about 2,500 pounds without any load, and you wouldn't have any trailer brakes!
Joe

davesgmc

I have pulled a trailer with mine just fine. I had originally gotten a 416 to put stuff in to tote around. Then had towed a 116 trailer with our groups dog tag machines on, total trailer weight was about 2200 pounds. it pulled fine, stopped fine, ferret has plenty of brakes if they work right to begin with.
I attached mine to the crank start hole. that thread is a 1.25 pipe thread if i remember right, then welded on angle bracketsvto also bolt the hitch in place. it was and is rock solid. I have had no problems with it at all, i ran down the road at 50mph towing the 2200 pounds and it pulled and stopped fine.

For those that say a ferret wasnt designed for towing, it wasnt, your right, but it can, and has in service too,a ferret tow truck? YUP!

I can get some pics if you want to see how I attached mine. Currently it isnt on the ferret because I have nothing small enough to tow and no reson to at this point.

Backing a trailer up with a ferret isint any more of a pita as anything else. I can use my mirros and back into a parking space with 1/2 inch clearance on each side, rear vison isint a problem.

BlondeGuy

Thanks for all the posts. I plan on pulling a trailer with a m2 50 cal. so the load plus ammo should be about 600 lbs. 1/4 ton would work.

Dave, can you send Picts of your hitch system.

My ferret is outfitted with backup cameras, so backing shouldn't ve a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks