• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

few m1009 questions

84cucv1ton

my top is leaking like a lot. every time it rains now. also where the plugs are from where the wires in the the top. water comes in the from the top that is screwed down in the tailgate. i want to get new seals for the top. still looking around for that. got some thing from lmc. was all china crap. anyone one know a place to go? anyone else have these problems? when ever it rains i have a little water pools on the floor.

on the wheel bearings on the axles. was getting hot. way to hat to touch the hubs. took it all apart and greased it all up. truck has 26k. bearings looked fine. hubs still getting hot. could it be just a little to tight maybe?

thanks for the help mike

TyJustice

I also had the same issues with my hubs/heating up. The issue turned out to be with the caliper. You may need to grease the slide rails on the caliper, for the pad to release properly. There is a special grease made for that application, but can't remember the name.

This was discussed in another thread:

Basically, a document was produced that explained the importance of checking and making sure that grease was applied to the slide rails during a pad change. Makes since….But it also mentioned that it should be checked often if…driving over dirt roads, river or water crossings, I’m sure anything that would compromise the grease on the slide rails. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

The grease for the floating disk calipers is a coper paste which is heat resistant. During any inspection (which means any 12000 to 20000 miles or at least once a year) you should remove your wheels and inspect your brakes for proper operational condition. This includes the sliding capbility of the caliper and the removal of the dirt from the rear brake drums.
If you like to use your truck in the dirt, this must be done after any offroad use in the dirt, else you are a good customer for new parts at your NAPA shop. ;-)
Wolf

Midnight Rider

I've got the leaky top problem as well. I have already ordered and received the parts from LMC. I just haven't had the chance to try them out yet. I hope they work.

I haven't had the hot hub issue yet. I guess I better check that.

kapnklug

Gaskets for the top can also be had at JC Whitney, cab one is around $50, side rails are extra. I was going to use camper-gasket tape for the sides since its cheap. I plugged the large holes drilled in my top with fender washers threaded onto toggle bolts.

84cucv1ton

that what i get for rushing. all 4 of the caliper bots were rusty. one had a grove in it. somehow. just put the new ones on. trying to see now why water is coming from the tailgate door

bp m1009

the hot hubs could be an over-tightened wheel bearing or a bad proportioning valve. as for the leaky top mine leaks through the drilled holes and the bottom rails i dont even think mine has a gasket on the side rails?

lavarok

I've got the leaky top problem as well. I have already ordered and received the parts from LMC. I just haven't had the chance to try them out yet. I hope they work.

I haven't had the hot hub issue yet. I guess I better check that.
LMC seals work fine. Lay them out in the sun before install. Also, get yourself some quick dry weatherstripping adhesive. You will need a helper.