• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fianlly got my m998 last night !!

fnpurist

Finally got my m998 last night. Time to go through and change all the fluids. Can I get the tranny filter and pan gasket at a local auto part store or am I going to need to order online? Also what oil filter/oil are you guys liking the most?

gcbennet

It's an off the shelf Turbo 400 transmission that's been around since Christ was a corporal, so any transmission shop or auto parts store should have what you need. Same with oil filters. I would recommend draining and thoroughly flushing every fluid on the truck and switching to synthetic. When i flushed my engine block all sorts of disgusting orange/brown water and crud came out. These trucks run hot so the coolant needs every chance it can get to do its job properly. As well, if you're like me and need heat 7 months of the year physically pull the heater box and rig up a couple of hoses so you can flush the crap out. You'll have to knock and bang it around a little to dislodge the chunks of built-up sediment in there.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no fan of synthetics....just stick with 15w-40 on oil, PH5 oil filter, Dexron 3 for trans,Power steering and TCASE, 80-90 G.O. For Diffs and geared hubs, DOT 5 silicone brake fluid....if you stick with the military way...it's all changed on either Time,hours or miles....so if driven seldom, change once a rear, of driven often, then change say every 3-7k miles..lots of mil trucks do a lot of idling...so an hour meter is not a bad idea.

the flush is a good idea, it's very very common to get casting sand from the block on those old 6.2's. Unless your radiator is new, I would have your radiator removed and flushed at a shop....they need to be rodded to be properly cleaned.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh...and don't look for a fuel filter at the local store...they don't exsist. Just buy it from parts supplier.
this is the number one filter to replace IMHO....but don't just dive right into it, it can be a bear and many folks have issues getting the system bled out afterwards...or the truck even started....but it need to be done.

fnpurist

this is the first time ive owned a diesel and MV so I have a ton to learn. Hopefully the tm on this site gives great directions for all of this. Thanks for your guys help

KansasBobcat

Agree with all the above advice. You might want to drain the fuel tank and replace the rubber drain plug. Be careful removing the old one and do not over tighten the new one. If there is a part you cannot find on SS or internet remember many of the H1 parts will work. I had good luck with getting some parts from former Hummer dealer. Don't worry about the AM General label about civilian use!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that it's too thin for some engines.
Plus it's expensive you can change what 3 to 1 times of cost of regular oil.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ymmv, just my observation from selling parts for 25 years. Fram is the absolute cheapest made oil filter. We had a counter display of a cut up wix, ac delco, and fram. From the paper pleats, seams, oil pressure relief spring etc, they are truly junk. It is a retail store brand for the wal marts etc based on the cheapest price. Very few "real" parts store carry fram and I would say very few professional shops install it.

fnpurist

I've heard that it's too thin for some engines.
Plus it's expensive you can change what 3 to 1 times of cost of regular oil.
makes sense. This is probably part of the reason my 01' f250 v10 burns so much oil. Ive been using mobil 1

Dixiedog

I used to import Unimogs and Pinzgauers back in the 1990s
Any of my customers that made a change to synthetic after those trucks had been on Dino Oil for over 25 years experienced lots of oil leaks. Sometimes going back to Dino Oil stopped the leaks, sometimes not.

kojo0513

Fn, seems like we have gotten our humvees around the same time. I just did fluids... Google M998 Lube and it will have some good info. Most of it is already posted above haha. Time to get to work!

fnpurist

I just realized there wasn't a spacer on the bolt that holds the trans filter in place or it somehow got lost when I was changing it. Looks like ill be doing it all over again tomorrow if an auto part store even carries that. Talk about a dumb move on my part. I drove it around my yard once after I finished so hopefully I didn't screw anything up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks