• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass Dash?

bushhawg73

My dash looked so bad that I got mad and threw it in the garbage one day. Now I wish I had not done that as I am dashless. If anyone knows of a quality replacement I would be very happy. The price for new ones caused me some serious mental pain once I realized what I had done. The only place I found one was LMC and they wanted around 350.00 IIRC.

wrex

My dash looked so bad that I got mad and threw it in the garbage one day. Now I wish I had not done that as I am dashless. If anyone knows of a quality replacement I would be very happy. The price for new ones caused me some serious mental pain once I realized what I had done. The only place I found one was LMC and they wanted around 350.00 IIRC.

If I ever get around to making the CF one for mine, I'll make you an FG one you can paint or pad for free, just pay the materials and shipping. I won't charge you to make it (It won't be hard to do, once I've got a mold completed, already).

I'm not looking to do it soon though, so be aware. I have other priorities I want to get done, first. Maybe a month or so?

MrBouncer

Goold Luck to you I took mine down to the metal also but I did not know it would be full of holes. I got fed up and just painted mine and started bolting things to it. What did not bolt I tied.

ParamediCUCV

BTW, make sure you have a good quality duct tape, or else you'll end up using most of the roll to hold the foam to the dash; it beats trying to hold it for 10 mins. by yourself while the glue drys!

Attachments

ParamediCUCV

After I finish applying the foam, I'll use the same adhesive to stretch some scrap fleece over it to give the fiberglass resin something to adhere to. Then I'll add a sheet of fine-woven fiberglass on top of that, let it dry, sand and paint.

jamesfrom180

If you need to secure the foam down nice and hard I would use some Copper wire that is pretty thin and twist it down. You can cut it loose latter and it won't rust.

Looking good can't wait to see how it turns out.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3M makes both high tack and permanent spray adhesive that works for purposes such as these. I believe they are known as 77 and 99.

Parimedi, have you considered a faux leather vinyl streached over the foam? I'd be worried about the fiberglass in the full sun.

Rick

Last edited:

ParamediCUCV

I looked into the vinyl overlay, but to get a good product, I'd end up spending as much on a commercial pad. Besides, I wanted something that I could customize easily. I'm not one to tear holes in the vinyl to attach something to the dash if I need to.

rjinga

Hmmm, you guys are inspiring me. My dash has several cracks and splits, and one of those velour covers over it right now. I've never worked with fiberglass before, but I wonder if I could take it down to the bare metal, build it back up with something novice-friendly and then just put the cover back over top of that?

Or, just seal the cracks and splits to stablize the "underside" and then slip on the velour cover?