• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass hardtop install

scottmh

I've had a fiberglass hardtop sitting in the back of my deuce for a long time now, so nice decided to stop making excuses and get to work. And hopefully this will help anyone thinking of going this route. I bought my top off of eBay from clintdigger97 he has a ton of deuce parts. I believe I paid close to $800 including the shipping for this top. The first step was to get it up there and see what needs to be done.

I had to remove this l shaped brace that ran along the back side of the cab. I also had to remove the seat belt supports from the cab rail to the seat belt mounts. This was a bit of a pain because non of the nuts are welded in place so snaking open end wrenches was the only option to get the bolts out

The next step was removing the button head on the windshield frame so the top could sit down

Once that was removed and little smacking, cussing and twisting got the top down where it needed to be.

It's not a perfect fit. The holes where the soft top poles would be are partially exposed

I am going to have to plug them or risk water damage. I will weld them or seal them in a way that is removable. I have not decided yet.

Also the small ventilation door on the van won't be able to be opened completely but looks like it will open enough to do its job.

The next step is to mark the holes for mounting the top. I am going to use the holes that are already there so I traced them with a sharpe

I am going to put two bolts in the front corners of the top so I traced the top on the truck and the truck on the top
I then took the top back off the truck and drilled the holes for the mounting bolts

I am also going to put two bolts from the top into the windshield frame but have not decided exactly where or how yet.

That's all I've got for today! More to come soon. roof1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

scottmh

Roof should get painted this week. It's going to be bedlined olive green inside and out. In the mean time I took a look at the rust issues on the cowl. I took a screw driver and a stiff wire brush to it. Talk about some thick layers or paint!

Eventually I want to bedline the entire truck. One step at a time.

tcruwithme

Thanks for all the pictures. It looks like a fun project. For your rust issue, try painting some of this stuff on with a brush and letting it sit a few hours. Wipe it dry with a rag, and then hit it with an orbital sander if you have one.

079340802773lg.jpg

scottmh

Progress.
The top is bedlined inside and out

I decided to do some painting in the truck on the spots the top will cover. I started by scuffing everything with a scotch brite Pad and wire brush.

I also removed the plastic covers for the wiper linkage. The bolts that hold on the covers also hold the motor to the bracket. I just reinstalled the necessary bolts for now.

I then used prep solve on all the scuffed parts to clean off any residue

Once it dried I brushed on two coats of chassis saver

Chassis saver is some nasty stuff. I suggest using gloves, disposable brushes, and do not get it on anything you don't want it to be. It won't be easy to remove.

While that dried I stuck on some camper top foam seal to the bottom of the top

I also got some 1" hole plugs for the holes where the soft top poles would have been. I used some black rtv to seal it off

I then brushed on some paint I had mix to match the top.

This stuff was super thin. I am sure it is meant to be sprayed. It took several coats to get even coverage with a brush

So that's where I am at right now. Progress maybe slow but it's progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ranchhopper

The one I bought in florida had ribs that ran from window to window across the top inside for added strength I installed a headliner in mine screwing it to the support ribs cost me $600 dollars worth every penny.

Rjins

I Second tcruwithme's suggetion of the naval jelly! Worked great on a trailer I redid. By the way, I love your shop van, was one of my favorite vehicles in the Army and Reserves!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks