• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fiberglass x doors hmmwv

Stonewall

What is the best method for removing all the paint from outside of this door. A good bit is chipped and can just be peeled off. Most is stuck pretty good. I do not like the surface that is left if I leave part of the paint on there. Even with sanding you still can see and feel the difference between painted and non painted.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sandblasting those doors takes off the gel like coat and ruins them.

fnpurist

feather the edges of the well adhered paint with 150 grit using a DA or random orbital sander then prime and paint. It's a pain in the ass because of the shape and crevasses on the door but the end result will look good. Its going to be time consuming

Stonewall

My initial thought was walnut shells but defiantly do not want to ruin the doors...cost way too much. Anyone used walnut shells on the x doors and can for sure confirm. If not probably stick to elbow grease and sandpaper.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sand paper and alot of time....also, for the exposed areas, I would epoxy prime. This material soaks up primer and paint like a sponge.

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sandblasting those doors takes off the gel like coat and ruins them
One of my friends had his doors "media blasted" and it took the (gel coat) off. Do not recommend blasting them! Take the time and sand them....whear a good respirator!

kzeyus

Know this is an old thread, but adding my experience with paint stripper in case it helps someone.
My doors had several layers of cracked and chipping paint and some cracks and missing gel coat so need to get down to the gel coat to do repairs.

Purchased the attached 'environmentally safe' and 'fiberglass safe' stripper from Amazon and it seems to work pretty well on the carc. Put it on for about 6 hours at 70 degrees and covered with a paper similar to wax paper (vinyl backing) , then scraped lightly what came off easily and then pressure washed. Thought it removed a lot of the paint pretty easily. Will probably hit stubborn areas once more, then finish with sanding. Passenger door is worse as far as gel coat condition and cracks, so will tackle that next.

Rear doors in pretty good shape, so just plan to lightly sand and repaint them.

IMG_20200518_162548.jpgIMG_20200518_162517.jpg

kzeyus

Passenger door after one round of stripper. Will probably do one more round of stripper, then get to sanding.
Gel coat on this one gone or going in quite a few areas.
IMG_20200520_154637.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks