• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Field Telephones- Is there a minimum wire size?

mm58

I'm thinking of getting a pair of TA-312 phones, and was wondering if there was a minimum
wire gauge that they like.

I was thinking for convenience of size and weight, I'd get a small spool of regular 2-strand telco UTP
wire, but then thought that might be too small.

I guess it also might depend on what length is being run between phones. For arguments sake,
let's say 1,000 feet will be the max.

Any input appreciated,

Mike

212sparky

I have rolls of field phone wire for same if you want the real stuff. I can even down roll to a smaller plastic spool if you don't need 2km.
It looks like 20 Ga wire.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WD-1A wire consists of two conductors, each consisting of four steel wires and three copper wires. The seven together are about 20 ga, but the steel is there for strength, while the copper conducts the signals. Near as I can measure the copper wires are .011 inch in diameter. Common quad telephone wire is more than capable for distances up to about 2 miles, either in two wire (EE-8, TA-43, or TA-312) or four wire (more 'modern' military sets). It's only weak point is that it is an indoor wire and must be protected from the elements.

'Quad' is common household telephone wire, sold in short lengths (250 feet) at home improvement stores, and electrical supply stores in longer lengths (1000 feet and longer).

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CAT3 and CAT5,5A, and 6 will all work at moderate lengths, but, again not out in the open or trying to support it's own weight over 25 foot or longer spans - WD-1 and WD-1A with the steel strands can be stretched over much longer distances.

mm58

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not sure if I want the "real stuff" or not. I'm thinking of purchasing these more for the novelty of it,
rather than for actual use. Once in a while I might see playing with it on a camping trip or something similar. So judging from your answers,
it seems like telco UTP would work just fine. If I do that, I think the four-strand might be a better choice and then just run the four doubled
up in a pair. I've also decided that TA-43's are probably what I'm after, as I wont need/want the headphone option.

Thanks again!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While in use as a point to point field phone there isn't really any appreciable difference between TA-43's and TA-312's. You'll be able to use either as a phone and the cost is comparable. 43's and 312's will work together as well. In fact, you may find TA-312's cheaper as there seem to be more of them out there, and they're generally newer than TA-43's. IMO, you don't need to hold out for TA-43's.

WD-1 or WF-16 will be easier to use and will last substantially longer if you're going to set up your phones and take them down often. It's also authentic and will look cool connecting your Army field phones with the good stuff. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

mm58

I might consider getting some of the good stuff, but it'd be nice if I could first handle and see it to determine if it would be too big and bulky for my liking. I might even be interested in going for as much as 2,000'

Chief_919

I might consider getting some of the good stuff, but it'd be nice if I could first handle and see it to determine if it would be too big and bulky for my liking. I might even be interested in going for as much as 2,000'
This is what the 1/2km spool looks like, they are 15 pounds. If you loo you can find the hand reel for it pretty easy as well.

Attachments

mm58

I think I could live with a DR-8 reel, but I'm still a little confused with the differences between WD-1 and WD-1A
Which ever one is both rugged enough and small enough to get the most wire on the reel is the one I want.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either one allows 1320 feet of wire to be put on a DR8-A reel, and the difference between a DR8-A and a DR8-B reel is the "B" is built for four wire operation and has two terminal plates on the side, while the "A" only has one terminal plate. The original WD-1 is two physically separated wires, each with their own insulation, semi twisted together - used in WWII and Korea, WD-1A is more like lamp cord - a single insulator with a cross section like a figure "8". The 1A variety is cheaper easier to find because the WWII reenactors want the original stuff to hook up their EE-8's and BD-71/72's.

mm58

So the WD-1 is like twisted pair telco wire, and the WD-1A is like Siamese lamp cord or speaker wire. I assume the actual insulated
conductors in either case is the same(?)
What about the /TT suffix? (as in WD-1/TT) What does that denote?

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks