• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fifth Wheel Looks Different on My 818

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to make my first pick-up with my 818 Monday, about a 180 mile round trip. I have been reading up on the fifth wheel and mine doesn't match up the drawings in the TM, any help is appreciated.
James G.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps it was a MWO to upgrade the plate? Or maybe the original had been taken off for some reason (broken, etc.), and was replaced with a civvy 5th wheel?

Andy1234

It's a new style hitch, there are no blocks to mess with for on or off road travel.

So far, 2 of my M818's have had the new style hitch, and the rest have had the older hitch.

Andy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just in case you don't know, be sure to grease the top of that plate. It will take at least a half tube of grease - spread it around with a piece of cardboard, before you slide under your trailer.

Lee in Alaska

Csm Davis

have both

So essentially which hitch setup is "better" besides new style/ old style
I have both this one and the older with blocks Ilike this one for ease of use but I think the older one is better for me and guys that do more off-road the springs on the new one doesn't move as easy or as much as the old one with the blocks out.
The new one unhooks easier and no block movement needed to go off road, but it scares me that on road you might not feel the trailer pushing over from wind or weight shift that could flip the rig. Also the water builds up in the pockets causing rust that is hard to repair, and yes I grease the heck out of both types.
2cents

DOCUSN1

Thats a holland KOMPENSATOR fith wheel. They are nice units and they do move well when offroad keepit lubed up. You can get them manual for it on hollands web site, thats a 5,300 dollar fith unit still in production today. They are B train rated heavy draw bar strength. Mark :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks