• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Figuring out NSN and part numbers

Rustnot

Hi all. First official post.

I am new to govplanet and buying military inventory. Trying to decode NSN numbers or figure out what certain parts go to. Is access to the NSN database (specs, costs, references) classified? Searching online usually brings me right back to govplanet. I thought about signing up with one of these gov suppliers to see if they would provide additional info.

Anyone have any source?

thank you.

Rustnot

I have. but they do not give much info, including what it was used for. Sometimes you get some general info. Do you actually log in?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First four digits tell you the Federal Supply Classification - 2320 is wheeled vehicles, 2330 is trailers, etc. You can look up the standard Federal Supply classifications here > http://everyspec.com/FSC-CODE/ Next two digits are where it is made (00 and 01 are USA) and the rest is a unique number that was originally a drawing number for the part. I think that last part went out the window 50 years ago.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, yes and no. The part numbers for most power generation parts, things that can not be used on any other applications, are still the drawing number part. Parts bought off the shelf, not so. A good example would be a control panel door. Its not going to be used on any other thing but THAT gen set. So the part number will be the drawing number.

48cj2a

Its really hit or miss with NSNs and what they belong to. We use FedLog and WebFLIS exclusively at work (USAF) and it does not always give you an end item application so I would not waste any money to join or get access to any of the online parts suppliers programs.

Guyfang

Staff member
There are some ways to "decode" the NSN. You need to get into the net and find out what the first 4 numbers mean. Like SCSG-G4 told you, the first 4 numbers 2320 means its a wheeled vehicles, 2330 is for trailers and I will add 6115 is for power generation. If you google NSN, there are some places that tell you the history of the part numbering system, and a list of what and how the first 4 number work.

And yes, like 48cj2a told you, its not worth the money to sign up for on line parts suppliers. And many parts suppliers provide the info for free anyway.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use what is called WebFLIS. It contained every stock number still in use by the government. There are thousands of items listed. Here’s the link. You may need to provide some information before being allowed to use it. They’re looking for very basic stuff, name, email address, etc. Each item has various pieces of info. Some give you lots of info, some give you next to nothing.

Miltrans

HI.
I have tried some of these pages without luck. My problem is I have the vehicle - Dodge W300M - but in order to get copies of release papers from army, I need to give them the NSN number for the type of vehicle.
Can anyone here help ?

Chris

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to provide a bit more info. Dodge W300M is not a milatary term. What is the milatary name for your truck. What papers do you want released? If it is a milatary truck, there should be a milatary data plate on the truck.

Miltrans

Hi
The vehicle is a Dodge Power Wagon W300M supplied to Danish army during the sixties. In DK it never got an "M" number. It was supplied as a "DiY" so only the fornt end was original and then it was built up in DK to different versions. In some articles a vehicle that resembles, is noted at being an M 601 (Vintage Power wagons) but the Danish version does not have stepside cargo bay, but the Danish built wider bay. The Danish manual has the number 2300-901-12 on it, But I cant find any reference to a NSN number anywhere.
One page has 2320-191 printed on it but no more than that.
Maybe a NSN number for the M601 is the closest I can get, but what is the NSN number for th M601 ?
DODGE__W_300_M_POWER_WAGON.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any data plates on the dash/glove box/door posts? It’ll help a great deal to see those plates, regardless of where it was built/owned. I pulled this pic from the web. Look familiar?7E316787-768B-4F69-8F53-3758DE8E6E04.jpeg

Last edited:

Miltrans

Homework report : Now to learn the difference between NSN (National Stock Numbers) and FSN (Federal Stock Numbers), and how to find them in reverse process.
Seems like the numbers in the manual and ordenance overview are NSN. Look for the 2320-192 by the picture.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks