• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Figuring out NSN and part numbers

Guyfang

Staff member
Homework report : Now to learn the difference between NSN (National Stock Numbers) and FSN (Federal Stock Numbers), and how to find them in reverse process.
Seems like the numbers in the manual and ordenance overview are NSN. Look for the 2320-192 by the picture.
The difference between the FSN and NSN is simple. The FSN looked like this. 6115-234-5666. The NSN looks like this. 6115-00-234-5666. About the middle 60's, we ran out of numbers. AND we wanted to have our NATO partners also in the logistic system. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we added the "00". AND the other country's also got into the act. 00 and 01 means the part comes from the USA. 12 means its from Germany. And so on. If you have a parts TM so old that it has only FSN's, and want to try and see if it has a NSN, simply add the two 00's. If it was a part that was carried over, it will come up.

Miltrans

HI
Thanks.
I have found out about the NSN & FSN issue. According to info found om Wiki FSN (Federal Stock Number) started in 1955 and ended in 1974, after this the country codes were added and so becoming a 13 digit number.
This means, that the Powerwagons in DK should have an FSN number of 11 digits. Staring with 2320 for wheeled vehicles and then a 3 digit number followed by at 4 digit number. My trouble is, that I cant find these last 4 digits on the vehicle or on paperwork I have found.
According to info I have come across, these last 4 digits were of no significance but were added to tell the numbers apart and avoid confusion ( That last part did'nt seem to work in my case)
Now when contacting authorities , the people there are of post FSN number age and only have NSN systems. Luckily there are still som FSN dinosaurers hidden in the basment that like to help us collectors. I am hoping they will issue a release dokument even if the last 4 digits are missing.

I am still looking for a "reverse list" where you can type in the vehicle type and then get the NSN og FSN number.

Have also found out, that the Dodge Power Wagons her are from 1962 - 1968 (even though I have seen some marked 1970) Such is information, it is only as true as it was on the date it was written.

Miltrans

At last !

Found the updated version of the paperwork for that type of vehicle. Seems the Danish army has updated their paperwork and got NSN numbers for the vehicles as they were still in active service af the change from FSN to NSN (here called Nato Stock Numbers)

The correct NSN number for the vehicle is NSN 2320-22-114-0730 this relates to an open cab version I managed to find the NSN numbers for the closed cab versions also.
Attached is the Danish approval papers for the open cab Dodge Power Wagon W300M

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One of the main problems is computers. I know they have been around for years including FEDLOG system, but now when something goes obsolete it's parts go with with it. Even several of the MRAPS versions along with other machines get scrubbed from the system in a matter of days. Back in the punch card days it could take years to scrub the system, but would still show up as OBSOLETE, so if you can't find anything it has been scrubbed. Also whoever (supply sgt) turned it in to the DRMO can make or break finding it. These are 2 examples 8145DSCASE004 it is a made up NSN and with google images you will get all kinds of containers including drums, this is not nade up 8145015337243 still in the system and gives lots of detail. BUT I found several items that sold on GP with the same NSN and one supply Sgt used the correct NSN other lazy ones did not. Here's what that FSN goes to, both items were listed with it, which is correct?
OVERALL HEIGHT(ABKW) 27.400 INCHES
NOMINALOVERALL LENGTH(ABHP) 34.400 INCHES
NOMINALOVERALL WIDTH(ABMK) 23.400
WTF1.jpg WTF2.jpg
if you picked the grey one you win.
Unless it is still sealed in the Issue box or has the original NSN stamped in it... don't trust it! Actually you can't even trust the sealed boxes. 20 years ago I bought what was listed as 1,000 steel pot sweatbands in PA sealed in the GENTEX boxes, I had a friend pick them up and hold them till I came out for the MVPA convention. He showed up the first day with several Gaylord boxes wanting to know where to dump them. Turns out the military sent them to auction as each box instead of sweat bands had a CVC helmet liner in it from the factory!
CVCliner.jpg

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Homework report : Now to learn the difference between NSN (National Stock Numbers) and FSN (Federal Stock Numbers), and how to find them in reverse process.
Seems like the numbers in the manual and ordenance overview are NSN. Look for the 2320-192 by the picture.
NSN has two more digits between the first four and the last part, which designates the country of origin, USA is 00 and 01.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks