• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filling front Planetary hub (wheel end assembly) with oil

Strobi1

I'm curious about checking the oil level and filling the front wheel end assembly. I've seen you guys talk about checking the level by rotating the fill plug to the 4 o'clock position, but has anyone ever used the 3 inch "Grease Cap" in the center of the hub? I ask since the plug is stuck and I may have destroyed it :-/ . I will repair it in due time, but I'm trying to take this thing on a test drive and don't want to add this to my list of projects right now. Thanks!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I should have fix the plug. I took some duck tape and covered half the hub hole and filled it up and let it drain into the housing. Took forever. When I went to drill out the plug the bit stopped when it hit the magnet. I had a good centered drill hole so when the drill bit hit magnet I took a punch and knocked it out to the inside with the hub removed. Then a easy out to remove what was left of the plug.

Strobi1

That sounds like a good strategy. I was worried about metal shavings dropping into the housing, but I guess with the magnet stopping your bit early took care of that. Was it easy to retreave the magnet after tie fact?

Strobi1

Thanks for the info. I'll be tackling that before too long. How involved is taking the cover off? It looks like it supports the planet gears.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A light tap with a brass hammer and the cover will come off. Sometimes by it's self sometimes the whole cross and gears come with it. If the cross/gears stays in the spindle should stop it from falling to the ground. If the gears/cross drop out to no worries they don't fall apart. If your is like most of them then they will have way to much silicone and you might as well drop the cross/gears and clean it real well. Also I used air to clean out the bolt holes that hold the hub on. I sprayed brake clean in the holes and then used air to get all the silicone out. I do not use silicone on the bolts or any in the holes.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the hub kits I have they all had Loctite in the box so one would think that's what the bolts call for. If you tap on the cross with the hub still on then both should come off as one. After you clean the cross don't forget to put a little grease on the hub shim and thrust bearing so they stay in place when you put the hub back on. I put them back together by putting the cross/gears in first then the hub. If you have any trouble with everything/gears lining up just rotate the tire/wheel and the hub will pop on.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all makes much more sense once to take it apart the first time.

IMG_3697.jpgIMG_3701 2.jpg

I had silicone sealant and standard hand tools. Then there's the whole shim deal and setting gear backlash...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks