• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtered Waste Oils in the Deuce in the Winter???

joesco

All,
This will be my first winter driving the multi-fuel and I have been using a 75/20/5 (filtered wmo/diesel/gas). Yesterday morning we hit a low of 23 degrees and when I went to the start the deuce, first time in about two weeks and it took several attempts. When it finally started, it ran fine. One issue I need to address is the manifold pre-heater, don't think it is working.

So my question, with diesel finally coming down in price, is it wise to run 100% diesel in the winter or maybe a 90/10 mixture???? I hate contributing to OPEC, if I don't have too!!!

Thanks Guys!

TommyG45

I run 80/20 usually WMO/gas, with winter coming, I am going to 100% diesel. My truck stays outside right now. Colder months without a heated fuel system can be a bit interesting with a high ratio of WMO. Haven't experimentd in the colder months with WMO, but I can tell you, when I need the truck to run... I need it to run. Diesel is cheap insurance.

m35tech

Thought I would post this, found it today while referencing the LDT465-1c engines
Accession Number : ADA062387
Title : Direct Utilization of Crude Oil as Fuel in U.S. Army Four-Cycle Diesel Engine, Model LDT-465-1C.
Descriptive Note : Interim rept. Apr 77-Aug 78,​
Corporate Author : SOUTHWEST RESEARCH INST SAN ANTONIO TX ARMY FUELS AND LUBRICANTS RESEARCH LAB
Personal Author(s) : Moffitt,John V. ; Frame,Edwin A.
Report Date : AUG 1978
Pagination or Media Count : 34
Abstract : Performance curves for the U.S. Army LDT-465-1C engine were obtained using DF-2 and crude oils of varying properties. A cyclic endurance test was run using crude oil as the fuel. The results of the crude oil fueled test were compared to test where DF-2 fuel was used. The crude oil resulted in significantly more engine wear and deposition than the DF-2. With crude oil fuel, the lubricant was severely degraded at end of test. (Author)
Descriptors : *DIESEL ENGINES, *CRUDE OIL, DEGRADATION, PERFORMANCE(ENGINEERING), OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS, LUBRICANTS, MULTIFUEL ENGINES.​
Subject Categories : LUBRICANTS AND HYDRAULIC FLUIDS
RECIPROCATING AND ROTATING ENGINES