• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtered Waste Oils in the Deuce in the Winter???

joesco

All,
This will be my first winter driving the multi-fuel and I have been using a 75/20/5 (filtered wmo/diesel/gas). Yesterday morning we hit a low of 23 degrees and when I went to the start the deuce, first time in about two weeks and it took several attempts. When it finally started, it ran fine. One issue I need to address is the manifold pre-heater, don't think it is working.

So my question, with diesel finally coming down in price, is it wise to run 100% diesel in the winter or maybe a 90/10 mixture???? I hate contributing to OPEC, if I don't have too!!!

Thanks Guys!

TommyG45

I run 80/20 usually WMO/gas, with winter coming, I am going to 100% diesel. My truck stays outside right now. Colder months without a heated fuel system can be a bit interesting with a high ratio of WMO. Haven't experimentd in the colder months with WMO, but I can tell you, when I need the truck to run... I need it to run. Diesel is cheap insurance.

m35tech

Thought I would post this, found it today while referencing the LDT465-1c engines
Accession Number : ADA062387
Title : Direct Utilization of Crude Oil as Fuel in U.S. Army Four-Cycle Diesel Engine, Model LDT-465-1C.
Descriptive Note : Interim rept. Apr 77-Aug 78,​
Corporate Author : SOUTHWEST RESEARCH INST SAN ANTONIO TX ARMY FUELS AND LUBRICANTS RESEARCH LAB
Personal Author(s) : Moffitt,John V. ; Frame,Edwin A.
Report Date : AUG 1978
Pagination or Media Count : 34
Abstract : Performance curves for the U.S. Army LDT-465-1C engine were obtained using DF-2 and crude oils of varying properties. A cyclic endurance test was run using crude oil as the fuel. The results of the crude oil fueled test were compared to test where DF-2 fuel was used. The crude oil resulted in significantly more engine wear and deposition than the DF-2. With crude oil fuel, the lubricant was severely degraded at end of test. (Author)
Descriptors : *DIESEL ENGINES, *CRUDE OIL, DEGRADATION, PERFORMANCE(ENGINEERING), OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS, LUBRICANTS, MULTIFUEL ENGINES.​
Subject Categories : LUBRICANTS AND HYDRAULIC FLUIDS
RECIPROCATING AND ROTATING ENGINES

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks