• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtered WMO: What pressures are required for filtering?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been researching various threads on SS regarding filtering WMO and have not found consensus.

I know the answer depends on oil temps, system design and types of filters you are pushing through, but for those of you with gauges on your filters, please answer me these questions:

What pressures are you building in order to move the oil, and at about what oil temperature?

I am exploring the idea of moving oil via low pressurization (regulated shop air on a pressure bladder) vs plumbing in a pump. I am no engineer, but I am cheap (which qualifies me as a prospective engineer) and have a deep appreciation for simplicity. Your experiences and observations are helpful.

Rick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Filters fail or crush around 100psi, I try to stay in the 40psi range. Temps I pump in are ambient.

donttreadonmebmg

I use the Harbor Freight pump that uses air pressure at around 7-9 PSIG to move oil from a 55gal. drum through the filtering system. It's slow but hey it works. Low enough pressure? It's probably not what you want though. And the 55gal. drum needs to be sealed to make it work.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GR, thanks. Your operating pressure is higher than I was expecting. I assume you are producing many gallons in a short time and/or you in low ambient temps???

DTOMBMG, is the pump you are reffering to the air driven piston transfer pump that was discussed in another thread? The pump I am aware of is a transfer pump. I assume you connected it's output to your filter system?

Thanks guys,

Rick

hedgehog69

I am going to try and set up a gravity feed filtering system...I don't need a lot of WMO...just want to blend some in with my B100.....so even if it takes a month to filter 25 gal...that is okay.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Whatever the outside temp is when I need fuel is when I pump. Usually I do most of my filtering during the warmer months, but once in a while I need fuel during winter. I have pumped fuel when it was 98* out and when it was 12* out. It certainly flows better in the summer, but having a thinner blend(diluted with gasoline) helps more than temp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks