• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally a bobbed A3...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jay, I am with ya buddy! I get off on seeing these trucks as they served in the military; they have a right to enjoy their trucks as they see fit. I read some of the mod threads and like to see the pics of the progress being made because I can respect craftsmanship, but it is not for me.

SasquatchSanta

...... I was shocked that people paid more than nice deuce prices for a bobber when bobbers first came into vogue. ......

Are you saying that after someone invests in all the work and $$$ of bobbing a deuce, installing modified/wider wheels and larger tires etc, that in your opinion it shouldn't be worth more than the original core truck?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SASQUATCHSANTA: Value is whatever it is to both the seller AND the buyer. To me, as a buyer, I feel that a bobbed truck is less valuable because I don't want one. This should not be construed as saying that I think that YOU or anyone else should not do as you wish. Enjoy and be merry. I just come at this hobby from a different angle. So, yes, an original, clean un-cut deuce in my opinion should be worth more than a bobbed and modded deuce....TO ME. I can tell you that I wouldn't want one...no matter the price or condition. I just don't think they are what I want in my collection. My opinion. Your opinion sounds like they are MORE valuable. As I stated in my first post, you are right. However, I am right, too, in that we all have different tastes and my tastes are different than yours...which does not make either incorrect.

Last edited:

SasquatchSanta

I will be starting a bobbed M35A3 project this weekend. The automatic trans should be great...

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Thanks for the heads up Justin. This should be an interesting project. Post pictures of what was previously been called "the victim" as you get them.

I personally think all deuces should be bobbed. Others, as you know disagree my thought is that since they own their trucks they can do with them as they see fit and I'll fight for their right not to bob them.

I realize my opinions on mandatory deuce bobbing don't have anything to do with your original post (my apologies for that) but since the thread has already been hijacked in this direction I just wanted to inject a counter opinion.

Keep up the good work.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just re-read the entire thread and I don't think it has been taken over or hijacked as you put it. The original poster talked of bobbing an A3. All subsequent posts dealt with either bobbing an A3 or bobbing a truck in general. That seems on topic.

wehring

Thanks guys..

Thanks for all the posts. I truly enjoy stirring-the-pot AND sharing knowledge. Bjorn has fed me pizza in his home but draws the line at bobbing. Proof that "Purists" and "Butchers" can cohabitate. However, I DID have my wife taste the first bite... one can never be too careful. :twisted:

There is a vast wealth of knowledge on this site and I am proud to be one of the contributors. For my application (disaster relief) the bobbers are ABSOLUTELY the way to go.

At the end of the day... trucks (of all sorts) are still used, stories are still shared and OD lives on.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bobbed trucks are what drew me into the hobby - I fully intended to get my "former" M109 bobbed into a big ole pickup truck - then I drove it awhile and decided I liked it just as it was. Now that I have seen Phil's bobbed beast up close, I think I might want another truck...............................

Maybe a bobbed 5 ton.

I still think A3's are ugly and expensive. :)

GoHot229

The first time I saw an A3 in some post or-other, it was mentioned something about how the hood and lights looked all wrong and sort of an afterthought in design. At the time I agree'd. But over time I'v grown accostomed to the look and kind of aquired a taste for the look. I'll admit I like the A2's better, but I'd not be too dissapointed owning a 3 either. Theres something ominous about the brute cab look. Go for it, and reguardless of pro or con purist talk, it should look good in the end. I'm a purist, in that my choices are for stock stuff, but that hardly diminishes the appeal of the bobbers.

tm america

not much for the bobbed deuce i think if you want a big auto trans deisel 4x4 you should just go buy a cxt and then you,ll have ac on it to instead of cutting up a prefectly good 6x6.since it seems everyone is bobbing to make em easier to drive and then trying to make them more comfy.

tm america

i think it.s like buying a quad then cutting the right wheels off it and making a motorcycle when you can just buy a motorcycle if thats what you want

tm america

i know maybe we should have a 4x4 section and a 6x6 section cuz i kringe every time i hear the word bobbed bobbing an a3 is like putting french fries in the microwave five times they have been reworked from good to bad already now you want to make it even worse:roll:

tm america

maybe you can angle mount the bed to match the hood .i say it you have the money do what you want i might end up bobbing a a2 some day but an a3 not gonna happen i think they have ugly truck laws hear and i'm sure it carrys a big fine:-D

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't particularlarry care for A3's or bobbed trucks, I wouldn't kick them out of bed either, so to speak. I've come to like loud green (and tan although I don't have any) trucks. They can always be used for parts trucks for my A2's :twisted:

I have seen Justin's work up close, and he is not a "cut and paste" mechanic. As an engineer, he pays a lot of attention to the details I would overlook. If anyone can make a bobbed A3 look good, he can, and I'm looking forward to the pics.

wehring

The work begins...

Received the truck and checked out all of the systems (hyd winch, CTIS, fluid levels, etc) this weekend. Pulled the bed this afternoon. Rady for the conversion to begin.

Pics will be uploaded tonight.

Justin

wehring

Ctis

Yes, I will keep the CTIS and by pass the factory system. The drama is generally not at the hub. Two manual controls on the dash. One for the front axle and one for the rear.

Justin