• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally a fix for problem floats

Armada

Thought I'd pass along a fix for fuel logged float problems so that it may save someone else some frustration.
I put a new 4a032 crate engine on an mep-016 genset and it ran fine, for about a week. I started having problems with the engine flooding after start up. I removed the bowl on the carb and found the float was saturated with fuel and sticking to one side of the bowl. After some research, I found others had the same problem primarily caused by ethenol enriched fuel but with no clear fixes other than modifying a similar float from different material.
To start with, I decided to modify the bowl instead of the float. I used a dremmel which worked nicely for clearancing the bowl. The bowl casting is plenty thick, even after cutting. No problems with a sticking float now.
Next was how to keep the float from absorbing fuel without loosing it's bouyancy. I used a product called Caswell fuel tank sealer. Its a 2 part epoxy that is impervious to fuel, including ethenal. I've lined small tanks with it before and have never had an issue. Thought I'd try it on a float this time. First I completely dried the float then lightly sanded and cleaned it. I mixed the 2 parts of sealer and applied one coat to the float. After a 24 hour cure time, it was ready to go back in the carb. The surface of the float is completely sealed now and hard as nails. Float bouyancy did not change. After installing the carb back on the engine it fired up and has been fine since. The float's been soaking in fuel for the last week or so now and no flooding problems yet. I don't expect any either, as I've seen fuel tanks with the Caswell epoxy lining that have been immersed in fuel for a couple years with absolutely no degredation. Hope this helps someone else experiencing the same problem with the military standard engine floats.
Anyways, here are some pictures. They will do a better job of 'painting a picture' than my typing will.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grega

Will keep this in mind, thanks for the info. I puchased 2 mep 016's on a trailer, dated 1973 a few months back. Only had time to get running so far, this one had a brass float and still seamed boyant. Will see if the other one has a brass float also.

dave wagner

You said the sealer that you used is also made to line tanks. I have a M135 that has rust in the tank, 75 gallons. In the past I fixed some small tanks with "Johnson" fuel tank liner. Worked great but a little spendy, 30$ a quart 15 years ago who knows what it is today. Guessing it might take 6 quarts to do a 75 gallon tank. Whats the price and coverage of the sealer you used?

Armada

You said the sealer that you used is also made to line tanks. I have a M135 that has rust in the tank, 75 gallons. In the past I fixed some small tanks with "Johnson" fuel tank liner. Worked great but a little spendy, 30$ a quart 15 years ago who knows what it is today. Guessing it might take 6 quarts to do a 75 gallon tank. Whats the price and coverage of the sealer you used?
This stuff isn't cheap either. If doing a large tank, it would be more cost effective to have a company like 'Gas Tank Renew' line it for you.

Caswell Inc. - Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer

m139h2otruck

Grega:
Would like to see a photo of the brass float when you fix the other gen set. Didn't know that these "std" engines came with a metal float, have only seen and hear about the foam ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks