• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally After 13 years I have purchased my first M1009

LtDan

So I have been a member for something like 13 years, and late last year I finally was in a position to buy a 84 M1009 as a project. I call it Lt B.O.B for (Light Tactical Bug Out Blazer).
It came with a spare transmission and transfer case, dash pad, not running, batteries that would not take a charge, tires that would not hold air, and one brake. I got it at a price I was willing to pay. Got it home, put two fresh group 30 batteries in it, and with a little patients, it fired up for the first time in over 3 years. Put a new set of Good year all terrain tires on it, and have been collecting parts from Rock Auto, and Hillbilly Wizard since late last year. I am hoping to have it on the road this year at some point. It will need a rust free body shell in the near future. I thought about fixing the body, but it is too far gone, and the time and money I would spend replacing everything from the floors, rockers, rear quarters along with the rear tail panel the gate mounts to, and a small hole on the roof, a rust free body shell makes more sense. This will be a full restoration with only certain trouble spots upgraded like. I am building a large ammo can to house cup holders, stereo, speakers, arm rest, usb charging jacks, and storage while keeping everything else as stock as possible. It came with white painted wheels, but I sanded and painted them when I had the new tires installed. Complete brake system, and shocks will be next.

Attachments

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice project, great looking ride. Your going to have fun restoring it as you see fit.

Just take your time, run it for a while, throw it in a local parade and fix it as needed. Most of all enjoy your ride.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an AWESOME looking CUCV. I don't see anything amiss in the photo's. I too just purchased an 86 M1009 and mine is in a much rougher condition than yours. I was intrigued by the "Ammo Can" concept you described in your post. Do you have a set of plans for this "attachment"? I would like to get something similar for my 1009 as well. You also stated that you purchased and installed two "Group 30" batteries. What is a Group 30 battery and where could I acquire the same. The batteries in my 1009 came from El Cheapo and have been attached to the truck using Ny-Ties and bailing wire.

cucvrus

Group 31 batteries come in a wide variety of cranking amps. The original CUCV batteries from the factory were the AC Delco 1111. 1111_grandeac delco 1111.jpgBack in 1995 when I bought my first CUCV's they were still the original batteries and I was able to charge them on occasion. But I was quick to replace them with new ones I bought from the local Chevrolet dealer. I also as can you use the 6TL batteryZ_2824_6TMF6TL.jpg
I was never fond of the 6TL but I have traded and bought and sold many of them over the years. On a few of the snow plow trucks I have also installed the North Star nsb-agm31anorth star .jpgThey have loads of cranking amps and hold up well. Of course the price is up there. I also must note that the batteries need to be properly secured and the inner fender apron closely inspected to assure a secure attachment. And secure means being tied and fasted into the fender assembly. No ratchet straps and J bolts just holding the batteries on the inner fender aprons. Example of POOR battery mounting. DSCF5948.JPGAnd results of unsecure battery mounts. This was not tied in with the fender and the results are expensive. DSCF5963.JPGDSCF6107.JPGDSCF6108.JPGDSCF6109.JPGThis is the same truck after spending several hours and replacing the right inner fender apron and locating the proper battery hold downs to secure the batteries properly. Good Luck. The parts are out there. They may be costly but the cost is much less than the batteries falling thru the inner aprons and landing on the road. I have seen it several times. Do it right the first time. the right way is the only way. Good Luck and Be Safe.

LtDan

Group 31 batteries come in a wide variety of cranking amps. The original CUCV batteries from the factory were the AC Delco 1111. View attachment 793300Back in 1995 when I bought my first CUCV's they were still the original batteries and I was able to charge them on occasion. But I was quick to replace them with new ones I bought from the local Chevrolet dealer. I also as can you use the 6TL batteryView attachment 793302
I was never fond of the 6TL but I have traded and bought and sold many of them over the years. On a few of the snow plow trucks I have also installed the North Star View attachment 793301They have loads of cranking amps and hold up well. Of course the price is up there. I also must note that the batteries need to be properly secured and the inner fender apron closely inspected to assure a secure attachment. And secure means being tied and fasted into the fender assembly. No ratchet straps and J bolts just holding the batteries on the inner fender aprons. Example of POOR battery mounting. View attachment 793304And results of unsecure battery mounts. This was not tied in with the fender and the results are expensive. View attachment 793303View attachment 793305View attachment 793306View attachment 793307This is the same truck after spending several hours and replacing the right inner fender apron and locating the proper battery hold downs to secure the batteries properly. Good Luck. The parts are out there. They may be costly but the cost is much less than the batteries falling thru the inner aprons and landing on the road. I have seen it several times. Do it right the first time. the right way is the only way. Good Luck and Be Safe.
Yes they are group 31s. It was a typo. I have the original hold downs, and had to purchase the hold down bolts from Hilbilly Wizard as I do not like to jerry rig anything. Your write up is very informative on the do's and don'ts of securing batteries. Thank you.

Last edited:

LtDan

That is an AWESOME looking CUCV. I don't see anything amiss in the photo's. I too just purchased an 86 M1009 and mine is in a much rougher condition than yours. I was intrigued by the "Ammo Can" concept you described in your post. Do you have a set of plans for this "attachment"? I would like to get something similar for my 1009 as well. You also stated that you purchased and installed two "Group 30" batteries. What is a Group 30 battery and where could I acquire the same. The batteries in my 1009 came from El Cheapo and have been attached to the truck using Ny-Ties and bailing wire.
I meant group 31 batteries.
The ammo can Idea is simple. I found the biggest one that fits between the seats. I purchased cup holders, foam, and maroon vinyl similar to the stock seat color to make something usable for storage, am/fm radio and usb/power point, and CB holder. It will look something similar to this pic I found on the interwebs.custom center console.jpg

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is made from a 20mm Ammo Can. I will try to locate one tomorrow at the surplus store. I hope I can find it...

MarcusOReallyus

This is made from a 20mm Ammo Can. I will try to locate one tomorrow at the surplus store. I hope I can find it...
Here ya go. Always good service. Not the cheapest place in town.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks