• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally after being here a while im a deuce owner

Streetgliderx

well brought home a deuce today, ugly weather so only pic i have is from the ad.

M35A2me.jpg

here is the skinny as i found it
was told it has been sitting for around 8 months, turned over bout 4 times and cranks right up, lots of rain water blown out exhaust so its been a little while. quarter cranks now
1974 year has nearly new Goodyear 11.00R20's singled out
its a 465-1C with C turbo
held strong oil pressure, ran about 170*, and charged the whole way home
it has hardtop, cab heat, electric wipers, insulated cab, all bows and troop seats,
no real leaks of any kind, just sweated oil from the pan
all lights worked after some switch wiggling
runs up to around 2800 rpm if i dont watch my foot and runs out round 50-55mph well
no cancerous rust at all and VERY little serious surface rust
air shift front axle
brakes worked amazingly well
FDC has never been bypassed
has a manual in glove box and US advantage lock and key with chain under seat
had some free oil in storage box!

the bad as i have found it

Guy wantred 200 extra for the paper to title it???? in Alabama im pretty sure 76 and older i don't need it no way so told him to hold onto that. got a bill of sale
Air pressure gauge stuck on 70psi (all others working fine) but never have heard the low air buzzer either
electric wipers need adjusting, Pass side hits window frame and of course needs wipers
blower on heater isn't coming on
throttle was not returning to idle but i think its a rusty pedal issue, tightened spring and better
needed batteries
paint is in need of restoration lots of cracks and peeling looks like a rough textured paint could just be weathered
engine kill lever has to be pulled out with both hands and both feet on dash, minor adjustment i'm sure
smokes a little if it sits and idles a long time, figure its old so that's normal.
cable coming from the slave plug isn't hooked up, unsure which terminal to hook it too.

lastly i get no air from the rear glad hands, turned valves but nothing. is there another valve under the truck or have i just got stopped lines?

Now that you know all about it what do you think i should have paid for this truck? ill be happy to tell but i was wondering how the fellow members saw it?
I'll also have a ton of pictures when it gets nicer weather

My goals are pretty tame right now, 395s all way around, winch, new tan paint, SOME FORM OF POWER STEERING LOL, maybe lock outs for front and forward rear axles. Oh and first mod is the tractor flapper on the exhaust, yes I'm an Alabama redneck..

looking forward to all the help and modifications coming up i really like this thing!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to price another man's truck but it seems like you got a ok truck. Deuces have been going up in price lately.

You probably need a new kill cable. They are bad about freezing up if left sitting for awhile.
The smoking at idle is normal. It will also blow black goo out the stack if idled for a long time.

SLOrazorsedge

Those look like M927 bows which are super tall too. If the corners have only screws to retain to the staves and bows instead of the quick release levers I'm pretty sure thats what they are.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only air on the gladhands should be from the passenger side unless soldier B is pressing the brakes, and then only if the valves are turned 90 degrees. Valves are located inches before the glad hands at the back of the truck, between the gladhands and the frame.

Streetgliderx

Thanks on the glad hand info SCSG, I'll try that out. Should pass side have air always? Cause neither work at the moment. My brother made me take the bows off going home he said he was afraid I was gonna hit every red light! They are super high, and also they are held together with screws and no quick release pins. I was curious myself why they wasn't easier to snap apart. So I either cut these shorter or hunt some proper sized ones huh?

lastly I paid $3500 for the truck, had to put two new batteries in it on my commercial account and those cost me $230.00 for the 1000 crank amps. tank was bout half full but I dropped 20 gal of new fuel in it but I won't count that. So $3730.00 deep into her right now.

Rmtaunton

Great buy , that one was on my list to look at in the near future. Also the valve on passenger Glad hand must be at 90 degrees to line to be open, as stated before by SCSG, which seems inherintly backwards to houshold or plumbing ball valves. Good luck and I can cross that one off the list to look at:-x

Streetgliderx

Sorry if I shortened your list man! I was just in Atlanta working for two years. Seen this one on my way home then again on CL. And the air on pass side is blocked then cause I get nothing with valve in either direction.

Rmtaunton

I would drain tanks then remove valve, chances are the block is on the incoming side of the valve, if not, fire her up and slowly start tapping line from tank to valve, most likely just rust, dirt dobber , you name it. Good luck again

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great find, Congratulations. Heck, if there was nothing wrong with it you wouldn't have anthing to work on, that's half the fun.
Lots of parts available, easy to work on.
Have fun.
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks